We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Milwaukee this weekend ....

Canandaigua
Level Contributor
6 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around Milwaukee this weekend ....

Finalized my travel plans to the Irish fest, and am coming in via Amtrak on Saturday~

Questions for the locals - should I attempt the mile hike to the festival from the train station, or is there another option? (inexpensive)

My hotel is on W College Ave in Oak Creek, about 10 miles south... tried to interpret the Freeway Flyer map, but not real sure if that's the best choice for returning to my hotel Saturday night, and wondering what the time constraints are on public transportation (how late is too late?)~ any thoughts on that??

Back to the festival on Sunday morning too.... leaving Sunday pm via train (buses were cheaper, but the schedule wasn't very flexible)

Thanks to any and all information!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49,765 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around Milwaukee this weekend ....

You might want to post your question in the Milwaukee forum.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around Milwaukee this weekend ....

Yes, definitely post in the Milwaukee forum. But here's my two cents:

Yes, attempt the "hike" from the train station. It's not far or hard. You could take a cab, though, just get one along St. Paul. Like I said before, they are not plentiful in Milwaukee, but that is about the only area you shouldn't have trouble hailing one.

Not going to lie, it's inconvenient that you're staying down by the airport (but I saw on Hotels.com that pretty much everything downtown is booked, so that was probably your only option). Which specific hotel are you at? It may be within walking distance of the park-n-ride where the Freeway Flyer picks up. It's not what I would consider a very "walkable" are there - College Ave is very busy and heavily-travelled. But it's possible. Otherwise the regulay city bus picks up down there. Your ride would be about 35-40 mins up to the fest. Or a cab (you'd have to call one), maybe $25.

Chicago, IL USA
Level Contributor
342 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around Milwaukee this weekend ....

I know that during Summerfest which is on the same grounds, many hotel will provide a shuttle down to the fest grounds. Never hurts to ask.

Oostburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
270 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around Milwaukee this weekend ....

For me, I would plan on taking a cab from the Amtrak station to Irish fest. When I get up early, take a flight on a crowded plane, wait in the Union station, and then take the train, I'm tired when I reach my destination. I'd expect there will be other festival goers on your train, and you might talk with them, and you could share a cab from the train station. Your bigger challenge is getting to your motel on College in the evening. There is a public bus that goes to the airport terminal area, and CoachUSA also goes direct from Amtrak to the airport. And those motels all provide shuttle service from the airport to their motel. I know this is not elegant, but other than a cab (very $$$) I know of no other option.

Canandaigua
Level Contributor
6 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around Milwaukee this weekend ....

survived the trip, and YES, I woosed out and took the cab - I was expecting lockers in the train station, but ended up lugging all my stuff inside - they took pity on me and let me bring in my cooler. Fortunately, the friends I was meeting (tug of war team from Canada) were in a hotel over on South Howell, and gave me a ride Sat. night and Sunday morning - so, all went well - appreciate all the help from the various Trip Advisor members ~ it did make a huge difference!

6. Re: Getting around Milwaukee this weekend ....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 21, 2014