We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight RV Parking Chicago, IL - Motorhomes, Trucks, Boats

Minneapolis...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Overnight RV Parking Chicago, IL - Motorhomes, Trucks, Boats

I just drove to Chicago, IL in my RV for the weekend and discovered a very large parking facility for RVs, Tour Buses, Motorhomes, Boats, etc., that is very easy to find and use - the McCormick Place Marshaling Yard at the intersection of 31st Street and Moe Drive. It doesn't seem to matter what size your RV is and given the facility's size, you can be towing just about anything, so long as it’s legal. The facility has lots of open space. Rates probably change depending on the season and local events, but I paid $21 a night (August 2013). Entry and exit is through a manned station with gate arms. Since I was staying in a hotel in the City, the attendant gave me the phone number for cab service as well as a location code. The cab arrived in 5 minutes and cost me $16 total to go to my hotel on Friday afternoon during rush hour. My return cab ride on Sunday was only $12 total. My hotel was at the Monaco in the loop, which is walking distance to the theater district, Millenium Park, and shopping. Directions to McCormick Place Marshaling Yard: US-41 South to 31st Street Exit. Go right (West) on 31st Street (away from the Lake). Take Immediate right on Moe Drive. Now take first left into Marshaling Yard parking. This a giant parking lot, so don't expect to see trees and shrubbery - just pavement, vehicles, and a small building. Expect it to be industrial looking. This facility may be busy during event weekends so it is probably a good idea to call ahead to see if it is busy - 312.808.3161. Note: I accidently discovered that if you go East on 31st Street, you immediately run into the lakefront trail system, which I believe runs into town. That might be good, though, if you are towing bicycles. VERY IMPORTANT: AVOID LAKE SHORE DRIVE WITH YOUR RV, TRUCK, MOTORHOME OR BUS. Although the City has done an excellent job of posting "No Trucks Allowed" where appropriate, you don't want to stray into these areas accidently. The residents won't appreciate it, nor will the local police.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Overnight RV Parking Chicago, IL - Motorhomes, Trucks, Boats

Thanks Rick....I saw from my scanning what a challenge it would be to just get in and out of there. I flat tow my car...and that means I can never back up while it's attached...so I'm especially leery of getting into something, where I can't easily drive out of it. Once I'm in the lot, it would be OK, but I'd be worried about driving to and from.

Plus, all those trucks would be pretty noisy and smelly.

Also, I landed on a boon-docking site yesterday where people join up and state if they have driveways and such for other RVers who are passing through. And there were a couple; 1 that was 19 miles away, and another 35 miles away. I'm sure there's more, but I had put in a limit of 40 miles. Some will offer that you can stay longer than just one day. So there's that.

Plus, it turns out there is a Walmart in a Suburb North West of the city, and a Cabelos a little South East of that. Both have overnight parking.

But, being only limited to one night at a time is a challenge. So I think finding a place to stay for longer period of time is best.

Boy, I wish there was a downtown RV park here...like they got in Saint Louis. I was there Sept 2013. It was awesome. You're right in the downtown area. The only drawback was that the park is so old, and very, very unlevel.

Thanks for all the tips everyone! I will work it out...

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,972 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Overnight RV Parking Chicago, IL - Motorhomes, Trucks, Boats

Finally, you understand. There is no RV lot downtown. How many times, how many ways do we have to say that Chicago is not RV friendly. This was a great sticky before it got hi-jacked but now anyone reading it will know for certain that RVs are a suburban thing. They do not belong in the city.

As ST would say "end of story".

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,998 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Overnight RV Parking Chicago, IL - Motorhomes, Trucks, Boats

I was just south of McCormack place--in the 30's... and saw a Jewel there.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,036 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Overnight RV Parking Chicago, IL - Motorhomes, Trucks, Boats

End of story....BUT, i wouldn't rule out illinois state beach just yet.... i doesn't have as nice scenery as the dunes, but the campground is actually pretty decent.... i've camped there a few times back in the day, and i just rode my m-cylce thru there a coupla days ago, so my opinion is based on very recent observation...

OK, now end of story........

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,972 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Overnight RV Parking Chicago, IL - Motorhomes, Trucks, Boats

I just got a lovely PM from Cindy calling me and A*** and a racist. My, my. She's a class act in a Beaver coach towing her car. It's a shame she left Chicago years and years ago. Chicago's loss is Mesa's gain.

Coplay, Pennsylvania
1 post
Save Reply
26. Re: Overnight RV Parking Chicago, IL - Motorhomes, Trucks, Boats

We had a great time in this lot for two nights, access to a divvy station and beautiful trails to the beach and planetarium. Could almost see the water from our spot. Staff was friendly would recommend staying here. We did keep it discrete though. no chairs awnings outside cooking etc.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Overnight RV Parking Chicago, IL - Motorhomes, Trucks, Boats

Yay...good to hear, Dan! That sounded really fun.

What kind of a rig are you in?

And BTW, that's how one stays at a qualified Walmart lot as well!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,019 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Overnight RV Parking Chicago, IL - Motorhomes, Trucks, Boats

Out of curiosity, was there a trade show going on? Having worked a number of shows, I can't imagine trying to stay in that lot while they're getting ready for or tearing down from a show.

1 post
Save Reply
29. Re: Overnight RV Parking Chicago, IL - Motorhomes, Trucks, Boats

Hello All,

I'm happen to be staying at the marshalling yard right now. My wife and 3 kids are using it just to park our trailer for the days we are visiting and sleeping at night (boondocking, no services what so ever). Yes, its in an industrial area across the street from the waterfront trails. Its mostly semi trucks and trailers, however, there are 3 RV's and 3 other travel trailers (One of the RV'rs runs a RV'ing travel blog). You have in and out privileges, great TV reception and can run a generator if you wish (I asked the attendant). We leave tomorrow night. The price is right.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1 post
36 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Overnight RV Parking Chicago, IL - Motorhomes, Trucks, Boats

This was really helpful thanks. We stayed here for almost a week and they were great!