We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicago solo: things to do in the evening

PA
Level Contributor
374 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Chicago solo: things to do in the evening

greetings chicago forum!

i'm traveling to rockford for a conference next week and, as i've never been to chicago but always wanted to visit, tacked a few days onto the end of my trip to check out the city. i'll be arriving in town on a saturday night (two weeks from today) and staying through late afternoon that tuesday. as i'm in town for work, i'm traveling solo.

i'll be doing general touristy things during the day. i've been perusing these forums and doing other general research; i have a CityPASS so that may well fill my day time--along with the various tours i'm looking at (and places i want to eat!) but as a frequent solo traveler, i often struggle figuring out fun things to do in the evening. you know, after attractions close and tours end. this shouldn't be challenging in a major metro area, but for me it is, as i'm not a club-going type of person. i do not wear heels and i do not dance (unless i am outside and barefoot). i found what i thought was a great 'second city solo' article in the NYT from a few years ago, but apparently that reporter IS a club-going person. ha.

i much more jazz club. comedy club. even irish pub or sports bar. but it is often difficult to figure out where to go that being alone is not awkward. for example, i--like all other tourists--was considering a second city performance. i'm not sure if this would be awkward solo, however. i realize the seating is communal, which i don't mind (i am insanely outgoing). but i've been to things like that before where i was seated with not a couple of couples, but with one large group. THAT is awkward! (at a dinner theater event on a cruise ship, i was seated with a family of four--mom, dad, two small children, and me. i asked to be moved.)

so--what's a non-clubbing solo traveler to do in the evening in chicago? i'm staying downtown and will not have a car, but will be using public transport/taxis.

note: i'm arriving around 6pm on saturday night, meaning two of my nights that i have to fill are the most awkward nights--sunday and monday.

thank you in advance!

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicago solo: things to do in the evening

Go to the theater. As a single, you'll have the best choice of available seats. Second City would not be as much fun by yourself, though, because it's shared-table, group seating. Of course, if you're seated with the right group, it would be fine. You may want to try it if it's on your wish list.

For music, Jazz Showcase often has singles attending, because it's a place for serious jazz lovers, not a big social scene.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,640 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicago solo: things to do in the evening

Look at the Solo Traveler sticky in Top Questions and use the search engine for ideas like these:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g35805-i32-k615246…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g35805-i32-k287930…

Edited: 12:38 pm, August 10, 2013
PA
Level Contributor
374 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicago solo: things to do in the evening

pgo--yeah, that's what i was thinking wrt: it depends upon who i'm sitting with. i suppose it's not that much of a risk; tickets are only, what, like $30? it is kind of on my list of things i want to do.

shallowshoals--oooh. there's a comment in that first thread about last minute book of mormon tickets? looking into that right now! also, the solo thread in the top threads box is where i found that NYT article i spoke of. ;-)

Edited: 12:45 pm, August 10, 2013
chicago
Level Contributor
8,343 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicago solo: things to do in the evening

highly recommend book of mormon

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chicago solo: things to do in the evening

Steppenwolf Theater has two plays Belleville and Slowgirl. I saw both and enjoyed them both. There are often single seats available for these plays. I am not sure what is at the Goodman theater. Both the Steppenwolf and the Goodman Theater are Chicago landmarks!

In the early evening, you might walking through Millenium Park and then north on Michigan avenue.

PA
Level Contributor
374 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chicago solo: things to do in the evening

thanks everyone!!!

also interested in great places to dine. solo or not, a girl's gotta eat. and i'm overwhelmed by the choices.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,021 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chicago solo: things to do in the evening

There are several thousand "great places to dine" here. Care to be a bit more specific as to your requirements?

www.chicagoreader.com and www.chicagomag.com for current dining and entertainment information. No need to limit yourself to downtown dining option. Hit up some neighborhoods spots.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,909 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chicago solo: things to do in the evening

You may want to sit at the bar at eating places...

Eau Claire...
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chicago solo: things to do in the evening

I think you would be fine at Second City. I bet there is alot of solos there. You could go hang out at Blue Chicago or Buddy Guy's Legends and catch some great blues. Sometimes Buddy is sitting at the bar so you might be able to have a drink with him.

Chicago, IL USA
Level Contributor
342 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chicago solo: things to do in the evening

A single seat to Book of Mormon should be easy to get. Funniest show ever.