We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Chicago suggestions

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Chicago suggestions

I will be spending 3 days in Chicago with my 10 year old son and my husband. We are not crazy about museums but we may go to Museum of Science and Children Museum. we would like to go to Willis, Navy Pier, Architecture cruise tour, etc.

We were looking at the option of buying a Go Chicago Card or City pass but this options charge you per day if I'm understanding this well. Do you have any suggestions?

We are not renting a car, we are staying close to Grand Ave station in the red line.

I was also looking at the Hip Hop option.

Please I need your help!

Thanks in advance...

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,476 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Chicago suggestions

Your son might be a bit old for the Children's Museum at Navy Pier. MSI needs a minimum of a 1/2 day for a decent visit. It's 7 miles south of downtown.

You need to crunch the numbers to see if a Go or City card is a good value - or not. They usually cover the general admission to a venue - not special exhibits within the venue. There's a discussion in the Top Questions About Chicago - right side of this page - on the subject.

I'm assuming you're referring to a Hop On Hop Off bus - not Hip Hop. You might want to consider a CTA pass for getting around - transitchicago.com/travel_information/fares/…

http://www.choosechicago.com/ - for other ideas of what to see/do here.

www.chicagoreader.com and www.chicagomag.com for current dining and entertainment information.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
4,926 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Chicago suggestions

My 11 year old is way too old for the Children's museum. The Shed Aquarium is a good option also.

B.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Chicago suggestions

Thank you vey much for the suggestions. Do you know if all attractions are close from.the train in case i decide not to buy the hop hop option.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,769 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Chicago suggestions

MSI is not. You can take a bus from downtown but honestly taxi us best because it is a little far. The others you can get to by CTA bus or train. Use google maps for public transportation directions it the cta website. Transitchicago.com

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,476 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Chicago suggestions

Access options to the MSI - msichicago.org/visit-the-museum/…

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Chicago suggestions

Hi, I want to thank you for all your messages...here are some comments after my trip:

We got the Go Card in Smart destinations and it was excellent.

We spent 3 days in Chicago as follow:

- We arrived the first day at 9:30 to O'Hare, took a taxi to the hotel in downtown. We went to the Art Museum, Millenia park and Willis Tower. We also went to see the Blue Man(this is not included but it's excellent).

- 2nd day we went to Museum of Science (excellent), Adler planetarium and came back to Willis at night without any issues. I heard the card is good until 5:30 but we were able to get back there at night.

- 3rd day we went to Navy pier, we took the architecture cruise, we took some rides, played little golf, walked to Magnificient Mile, American Girl and John Hacock Observatory.

I hope my itinerary help a lot of first time visitors like me that want to visit this beautiful city.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,587 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in Chicago suggestions

thanks for the report!

8. Re: 3 days in Chicago suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 06, 2014