We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rooftop bar/lounges downtown/loop

Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rooftop bar/lounges downtown/loop

Hi,

I'm visiting Chicago and would like some recommendations for a rooftop bar that's good on a Thursday night in the downtown/loop area. We won't be having dinner there, just drinks - so likely arriving around 10:00 or 11:00 pm.

- good crowd, good vibe, lively (dancing if possible)

How is ROOF at the Wit hotel?

There were some listed on Zagat recently: …zagat.com/2013/…social

Drumbar, The Deck, Epic, etc. but it doesn't give any indication as to what kind of crowds or ambience the places have.

I guess it doesn't necessarily have to be "roof top" but we would like to be outside, ideally.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rooftop bar/lounges downtown/loop

I should add that we will be going out Friday and Saturday nights in Wicker Park and North River, so that's why we are looking to be around the Loop area for Thursday night.

Mentioned in this post
Wicker Park
Wicker Park
93 Reviews
Chicago, IL
The Loop
The Loop
1,078 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
8,282 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rooftop bar/lounges downtown/loop

The Loop and River North are very close to each other. They are only separated by the Chicago River.

I thought from your previous post that you weren't interested in bars frequented by tourists. Is that still the case?

Mentioned in this post
The Loop
The Loop
1,078 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Chicago River
Chicago River
1,252 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53,118 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rooftop bar/lounges downtown/loop

Right side of this page - Top Questions About Chicago

Please refer to #15

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
17,220 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rooftop bar/lounges downtown/loop

The question is asked all the time. Use the search engine to find suggetionsa and answers. also, it is asked so much that TA has put it up as a Sticky in Top Questions.

Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Rooftop bar/lounges downtown/loop

Dave and Shallow... I did a search but forums from 2010 aren't helpful. The vibe and crowds change quickly in the bar industry. I also went to the sticky note and that's where I found the zagat article I mentioned.

Chi, I don't want a touristy place, but it's a Thursday night and there must be downtown professionals and residents that go out. Here in Toronto, Thursday nights are a great night to go out because it's not packed with people coming into the city from the suburbs, etc. since its a work day the next day. The same place on a Thursday may be totally different on a Saturday.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53,118 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rooftop bar/lounges downtown/loop

Maybe this article - …metromix.com/stories/1953-chicago-2013-alfr… - will work for you.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
8,282 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rooftop bar/lounges downtown/loop

kristy, perhaps there may be a little misunderstanding what "downtown" Chicago actually means. The only neighborhood which is truly considered "downtown" Chicago is the Loop. But for purposes of travel, other neighborhoods such as River North - and those with marketing terms, such as the Magnificent Mile - are normally conveyed as "downtown" Chicago.

Because the majority of the hotels are located in these areas, that's where the tourists are most prevalent.

Any decent bar and/or restaurant in the Mag. Mile, River North and/or Loop areas, especially those with draws such as views, are magnets for tourists (and I'm including traveling professionals because they usually include pleasure as well as business in their travel) any day of the week.

A large amount of suburbanites - as well as those from other states, such as Indiana and Wisconsin - work in the "downtown" areas of Chicago. I worked in professional service offices in each of these three areas for over 20 years, both when I lived in Indiana and then when I lived in Chicago. All of them had over 100 employees and each had about a 50/50% split of locals and suburbanites. The non-locals usually commute in via the various rail lines (Metra, South Shore, CTA) but some do drive.

In fact, the large majority of the Chicagoans who work in those same "downtown" areas don't live there. They live in outlying neighborhoods and commute "downtown" via CTA 'Ls or busses, or by other means such as bicycles, when in season.

So just be prepared that you will likely be at a bar frequented by tourists and/or suburbanites if you are in these areas.

Edited: 2:38 pm, June 22, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
The Loop
The Loop
1,078 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Indiana
Indiana
United States
Wisconsin
Wisconsin
United States
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Rooftop bar/lounges downtown/loop

Okay, thanks Chi. Having never been to the city, I wasn't clear on the "downtown" neighbourhoods.

Dave, thanks for the article with the listings of all the outdoor patios.

If anyone is in or around their mid 20's to mid 30's, goes out often in Chicago and is very familiar with which outdoor bars/lounges are fun with a good vibe and interesting crowd, then it would be much appreciated if you could recommend a couple specific ones.

We are looking to go out on a Thursday night. We'll be having dinner at either Maude's Liquor Bar or Carnivale, so a place reasonably nearby would be great.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
chicago
Level Contributor
8,793 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rooftop bar/lounges downtown/loop

Roof is very full of suburbanites and tourists

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rooftop bar/lounges downtown/loop

Market on West Randolph. J. Parker at the Lincoln, Citizen on Erie

That being said, since I live in a tourist area, I will visit, the rooftop at Epic, or Drumbar, or Vertigo if I don't feel like going too far

Mentioned in this post
Erie
Erie
Pennsylvania