We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sports to watch in Chicago

Glasgo
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Sports to watch in Chicago

Hi, I'll be in Chicago June 29th to July 5th. We're a big sports family, and would like to go and see a game of something when we're over there. We don't really know much about the sports or the teams over in Chicago, but we'd really like to savour the atmosphere somewhere! Can anyone give me me a help in the right direction for the following:

Chicago Fire (are there any other soccer teams based in Chicago): Are they playing when I am there? Is getting tickets hard?

American football: I'm not the biggest fan, but would going to see a game at the stadium be worth it?

Chicago Cubs (any other baseball teams?): Are tickets hard to get? Is the season still on?

Basketball: Would LOVE to see the Bulls play, but I fear the season is finished. Is that right? Would getting tickets be hard for this, esp since they're so big? Any other teams?

If anyone can give information about whether the seasons on each of the sports are still on, how hard it would be getting tickets, how much they cost, the fixtures, etc, I'd really appreciate it. Outside of football (soccer), we're pretty much lost.

Thanks a lot.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,349 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sports to watch in Chicago

Michael,

Baseball is in full swing (pun intended) during the summer. The Cubs will be playing at home 6/29-7/2. Visit www.cubs.com for details.

The White Sox will be at home 7/3-7/9. Visit www.whitesox.com for details.

Both ball parks are easily accessible via the CTA red line train. Visit www.transitchicago.com for details. A CTA visitor pass migh be convenient for your family.

Baseball tickets are difficult to get. If you can't order them off of the team's website - there are various ticket brokers that you can use.

The Chicago Fire is playing on 7/4. They play at Toyota Park in Bridgeview. It's a suburb southwest of Chicago. You can get there by taking a train and a bus. Transitchicago.com will give you directions. Visit - http://chicago.fire.mlsnet.com/MLS/chf/ for details.

The Chicago Bulls season is over.

The Chicago Sky (Women's Basketball) is part of the WNBA. They play at the Univ of Ill at Chicacgo. It's near downtown. Visit http://www.wnba.com/sky/ for details.

Have Fun

Dave

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sports to watch in Chicago

American Football is also out of season. Cubs have the most nostalgia going to their park. If you want to experience the Cubs the way they are meant to be experienced, sit in the bleacher section. This may not be suitable for young children as this is where all the heavy drinkers and loudmouths sit.

Wauconda, Illinois
Level Contributor
983 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sports to watch in Chicago

Another option is catching the Milwaukee Brewers up in Milwaukee. This is about a 1 hr train ride on Amtrak from downtown. There are two reasons I suggest this. I have been to ballparks all around the country, and Milwaukee probably has one of the best baseball stadiums you can go to. It is far superior to Wrigley and US Cellular. The second reason I suggest this is that their summerfest is going on at the same time. It is a great opportunity to catch some great acts at a low price.

In terms of Chicago, I would say go to Comisky if you get a chance. It is much better baseball. This year, the talent of baseball is much better on the South side. I am not a big fan of Wrigley, however, I have been there several times. It might be interesting for the first time visitor because it is so old! It is a stadium built around the turn-of-the century (which is actually falling apart). You go to Wrigley for the atmosphere and not the baseball.

location, location...
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sports to watch in Chicago

ANy other baseball teams? I realize you are from Scotland but come on now...The Chicago White Sox won the World Series last year. That's equivalent to Scotland winning the World Cup!

Want to savor Chicago sports atmosphere? Also check out a 16" softball game. I think you will find a game some evening at just about any park in Chicago. Try Grant Park and while you're there check out Millenium Park which is near downtown, north of Grant Park and in the vicinity of Buckingham Fountain.

Chicago
Level Contributor
267 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sports to watch in Chicago

Michael_Thomas, the 2 biggest sporting events in Chicago during that time period are the Cubs and White Sox games. Baseball is arguably the most popular sport in Chicago, and the 2 baseball teams, who once faced each other in the 1906 World Series, are still to this day considered cross-town rivals. The White Sox are currently the World Series Champions; they won the World Series last year after an 88-year drought. This season, some say they're even better, and are poised to repeat. The Cubs, on the other hand, are having another losing season, and most likely will not make the playoffs in '06.

If you can, I would recommend going to see them both. The Cubs play at historic Wrigley Field on the North side, and the White Sox play in a much more modern ballpark called US Cellular Field, on the South side. Both stadium's capacities are around 40,000. You can get to both parks via the Red Line subway train, which runs north and south underneath State Street.

At this time, the Monday night, July 3rd game, at US Cellular is sold out, but tickets are always being re-released on ticketmaster or whitesox.com, so keep checking back. On the day of game (in the morning when the box office opens) is when most of the unused tickets are re-released. I would try for that night because it's half-price night, fireworks show after the game, and free White Sox hats for the first 20,000 in attendance. If you can't get tickets for that game, the Tuesday day game should be easier to get tickets.

6. Re: Sports to watch in Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, August 12, 2009