We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on ways to get from the Amalfi to Second City

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Greenwood, Indiana
Level Contributor
95 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions on ways to get from the Amalfi to Second City

My wife and I will be staying at the Amalfi in early August and would like suggestions on how to make the trip up to Second City. We would be going between the two places on a Saturday night and will have a car that we are driving up from Indy. I am more tolerant of the idea of public transportation than the wife but we did use public transportation during our entire stay in NYC in March of 2005 with our 3 adolescent daughters in tow and she was OK with this experience of getting around. She is of the opinion that the CTA is not up to the standard of the subways in NYC. She is lobbying for a cab but in my mind I would drive and park before taking a cab. The SC web site lists places to park as follows:

Parking is available for a fee across Wells street in the Treasure Island parking lot, or 1/2 block west on North Avenue at the Piper's Alley self park garage. Fees range from $6 to $15.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,525 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions on ways to get from the Amalfi to Second City

There's no need to move your car. It's a short easy commute by bus.

From your hotel, walk west to Kinzie & Dearborn. Catch a CTA #22 bus northbound. Get off at North & Clark. Walk west on North to Wells. Second City is at the northwest corner of Wells & North Ave. The fare is $2 per person. Visit www.transitchicago.com.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions on ways to get from the Amalfi to Second City

Take a taxi.

Level Contributor
790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions on ways to get from the Amalfi to Second City

I would probably walk if the weather is nice, but driving my own car would be the last choice on my list. I'd take a bus/el first, then cab, then drive if I didn't want to walk.

As to CTA not being up to the standard of NYC's subways - I can't really compare. I haven't been to NYC in a few years, and I'm not sure how that comparison would be made anyway. But, CTA is great. I guess, what specifically is she concerned about "not being up to standard"? If she has specific concerns, someone could address them. I'm not sure why comparing them to NYC is even relevant? Even if one thing is less good than another, that doesn't mean it's bad.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,199 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions on ways to get from the Amalfi to Second City

There is a large parking garage just west of Second City. Driving and parking shouldn't be a problem. Taking a cab with five people (if I read your post correctly) can be a problem.

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions on ways to get from the Amalfi to Second City

Sounds like you want to drive, so print out a Yahoo map with the two locations, and it will help you with a route and the one way streets. If your driving on a weekend, especially a sunday, there is definately less traffic then a weekday. The hardest part is parking, and looks like parking is available for the residents that drive in for a show. Enjoy!

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions on ways to get from the Amalfi to Second City

ps. print out maps for the return trip also. Undoubtedly it will be different then the inbound route.

DETROIT
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions on ways to get from the Amalfi to Second City

Indy..... I hope You and Yor Wife Like the Amalfi as much as I do. It is a very Nice Hotel away from all the hustle and bustle. I walked to just about everywhere I needed. I love the fact Norstorms was right around the corner. There is a 7/11 there near the Hotel and it's a great place to get snacks and pop. Across the street from the Amalfi is Harry Carry's and I loved the Antipasta plate, and the bread, well I could eat a loaf. Have a great time at Second City and enjoy Chicago.

Theresa from Detroit....

8. Re: Suggestions on ways to get from the Amalfi to Second City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:22 am, August 12, 2009