We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicago beaches....

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Chicago beaches....

Where are the best beaches? :-)

Wauconda, Illinois
Level Contributor
983 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicago beaches....

North Avenue Beach. There is a place to park, eat and play sports. Also, it seems to be the only one not getting closed down while the others are suffering fom E. Coli.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,525 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicago beaches....

Here's a list from CitySearch - http://chicago.citysearch.com/roundup/40274

Chicago, Illinois...
Level Contributor
169 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicago beaches....

I agree that North Ave. beach is the best. If you're staying at a hotel in downtown, I would recommend Oak St. Beach. It's closer to downtown and also very scenic.

Enjoy your stay!

cheers

Kenny

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicago beaches....

Kathy Osterman Beach, the 63rd Street Beach, Foster Ave. Beach . . . who defines "best"? What are you looking for?

Wauconda, Illinois
Level Contributor
983 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chicago beaches....

I think in Chicago you would define the best as those that aren't closed by E. Coli as much:)

Tennessee
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Chicago beaches....

Please forgive me for jumping into this thread but I wanted to ask for more information about the e-coli problem at Chicago beaches. We will be staying downtown in late August at a hotel with no pool. I was assuming that we'd visit Oak Street beach but I have young children and do not want to take any chances with e-coli.

Can anyone link me to more information about the severity of this problem? If you had young children, would you avoid the beaches?

Many thanks.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chicago beaches....

If you type "chicago e coli flags" into Google, you should be able to link to the article that was recently in the Chicago Tribune. Here's a small piece of it:

"The new three-tier advisory system will use green flags at the beach to signify that swimming is permitted, yellow for a swim advisory when bacteria levels are above 235 and red for a swimming ban when it's above 1,000.

Under the old, tougher standard, Chicago closed the beaches when bacteria levels could potentially make 8 out of every 1,000 swimmers sick.

The new standard closes beaches at levels where 14 of every 1,000 swimmers could potentially fall ill, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency."

TT200, the beaches others have recommended are in Chicago within walking distance or a short bus/el ride of where most hotels are in downtown. If you are interested in going outside of the city, some of the prettiest beaches (not necessarily the best for bikini watching) are in the Indiana Dunes, about a 45 minute drive outside the city. Train access via the South Shore is also possible.

Chicago...
Level Contributor
831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chicago beaches....

As long as you follow the warnings, the Chicago beaches and water are safe.

I would avoid Montrose Beach since it is a dog beach (literally) but the rest are fine most of the time.

During some periods depending on weather the water becomes a bit stagnant and the e-coli goes up but the City does a good job with warnings. Los Angeles has smog. At times we have e-coli. If we could just get rid of the seagulls that might change, but until that happens, we have to live with it.

Another beach that is convenient is Ohio Street Beach, which is set between Lake Shore Drive and Navy Pier.

The best for 20 year olds is North Ave., which also has the advantage of being close to Lincoln Park Zoo. Oak Street Beach is also very nice.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chicago beaches....

Ecoli or no ecoli - the water on any beach in the city is way too cold! Wilmette beach can heat through by September and Indiana Dunes beaches are ok, but Chicago? No way! Even if I dip a toe in that water I freeze! Beaches are nice to tan and sit around. But in summer (already started) they are all overtaken by beach voleyball teams playing. Nothing against young people, I am a 20 something myself, but that is just too much!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Chicago beaches....

Thank you, everyone, for feedback about the beaches. I did find the newspaper article about the flag system. There is so much to do over the few days we'll be in Chicago that it is almost a relief to drop "visit beach" from the list.