We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel location

paso robles
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel location

My daughter and I just booked a Friday night stay at the Congress Plaza Hotel downtown. We were wondering if this is a safe location? We will probably be exploring until late in the evening and want to feel safe coming back to the hotel. Also, is the area around Wrigley Field safe to stay at? We will be taking a bus to Rockford Illinois on Saturday morning and then returning by car Sunday to a Cubs game and booked a hotel about 20 minutes from Wrigley. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks....

Rhonda

Mentioned in this post
Wrigley Field
Wrigley Field
8,620 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Rockford
Rockford
Illinois
Wrigley Hostel
Wrigley Hostel
173 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Viceroy Chicago
Viceroy Chicago
#3 of 197 hotels in Chicago
Ace Hotel Chicago
Ace Hotel Chicago
#4 of 197 hotels in Chicago
The Guesthouse Hotel
The Guesthouse Hotel
#5 of 197 hotels in Chicago
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53,313 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel location

The area around the Congress is generally safe. It's not in the most lively area of downtown. As in any other large city common sense prevails. The hotel reviews in TA speak for themselves. If you're out late in the evening, consider taking a cab or CTA bus back to your hotel.

Same applies to Wrigleyville. Though that area is much more lively - especially in the evening and on game days than the area around the the Congress Plaza.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,880 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel location

There will be lots of other people out exploring around wrigley until late evening. It's a safe, busy area.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
17,268 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel location

How did you find The Congress? The Congress is in a safe enough area because it's on Michigan Ave. and has other hotels around it. Stay within a couple of blocks of the hotel after dark. Wrigleyville is very safe.

Mentioned in this post
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53,313 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel location

OP's here during the oncology convention.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
17,268 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel location

Yes, I see from his/her other post that they are paying $250/night for the usually $140/night Congress. During a convention you don't get to pick and choose. At least the Hilton, Essex and Blackstone hotels nearby will be full of conventioneers who will populate the streets. There is nothing in Paso Robles or San Luis Obispo to offer as a comparison (perhaps the Carlton in Atascadero before rehab). Luckily the Red Line State St subway will take them back and forth to Wrigley safely and they have Grant and Millennium Parks across the street from their hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago's Essex Inn
Chicago's Essex Inn
2,100 Reviews
Chicago, IL
The Blackstone, Autograph Collection
The Blackstone...
2,189 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Wrigley Hostel
Wrigley Hostel
173 Reviews
Chicago, IL
paso robles
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel location

Thanks for the info!!!

paso robles
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel location

Thanks everyone for the helpful information! We're really looking forward to exploring Chicago...just wish we had more time

We actually found our two hotels from booking.com. The ones downtown were pretty expensive!! But after we booked we saw online that a big convention was in town that weekend...oh well!

Edited: 3:44 pm, April 27, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
desoto
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel location

I am still trying to find a room that will accomdate my desire for tow queen beds not two double beds. My husband is 6'7 and I am 5'8. a double for us is not going to work. Plus we are traveling with our teen daughters. I am willing to book outside downtown but am not sure about how long a train ride will be and how safe if we travel back at night. We are using priority club points which include crowne Plaza and Holiday inn. any suggestions? We do have a pass for all of us for 3 days of el usage, and we could drive to a train station that would get us a little closer to downtown just as long as we aren't actually driving in downtown. I plan on not being a single parent when we finish the trip...Lol

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53,313 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel location

Check the CP in Rosemont. You'll need to allow an hour each way by the CTA blue line.

Mentioned in this post
Rosemont
Rosemont
Illinois
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel location

The Avenue Crowne Plaza has two queen beds, right downtown, so not sure how many PC points you need