We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-11/3-13 trip

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
3-11/3-13 trip

Please give any info you can for sights/tours/food etc. We will be staying at the Mellineum Knickerbocker. We have all day Sat & Sun to get the most in. Any suggestions welcomed.

Chicago
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-11/3-13 trip

I would go up to the top of the Sears Tower Skydeck. I've been a Chicago resident for 25 years and I went up there recently, a bit ticked that it cost $10. I thought I'd get up there and come right back down, but I actually ended up enjoying it a lot and got some great pictures from it.

There's Uno's Pizza, which is just East of Michigan...on Ohio, I think.

The Magnificent Mile has a lot shopping, if that's of interest. Navy Pier has incredible views of the city, but the shopping there is overpriced and the vendors are just selling trinkets.

Also, you could spend most of a day at the Museum Campus (The Adler Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium and the Field Museum), which is just South of the loop, along the lake. There is a City Pass available online or at the museums that allows you admission to certain museums and sights for a set number of days. Since you are going to be here on days when there are not "free days" at the museums, this may be of interest to you.

The city pass is available here: citypass.com/city/chicago.html?id=TZ6qWoDZ

Given the fact that the Shedd alone is something like $23 per person for full admission, the City Pass is certainly a value. It also will give you admission to the Hancock Observatory, which is just down the street from the hotel you'll be in.

Any questions, please email dvdmovie1@aol.com

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-11/3-13 trip

Good choice of a hotel!

The Sears Tower is a good idea. You can also go up in the John Hancock Observatory (and eat Ely's cheescake!). I would pick one and go for sure. The Hancock is right by you're hotel.

For museums, there's the Field Museum (which has the Jackie Kennedy exhibition right now with her clothing, jewelery, etc.) that supposed to be neat if you're into that. The Museum of Science and Industry is also very good. The Art Museum and Shedd Aquarium are also very popular.

Navy Pier is worth the trip if you're not in Chicago often. You can eat dinner there, stroll along and look at statues, etc., great views of the city. I recommend it.

You, of course, have to eat pizza one night. They are all good, but Uno's or Geno's East are very popular and outstanding. Your hotel is close to an Italian restaurant called Rosebud on Rush Street. It's incredible.

I don't really know if any tours. They have the architecture tour an others on the river in the summer, but I don't know what's going on that time of year.

Have fun!!!

Chicago
Level Contributor
267 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-11/3-13 trip

Another idea is ESPNZone which is right across the street from Uno's (on Ohio Street just west of Michigan Ave.)

It's 2 floors...top floor has all the arcades and games you can think of...and there's a restaurant, a bar, and a huge screen where you can watch a Bulls game or whatever sporting even is on at the time. Fun atmosphere.