We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hole in the Wall Restaurants

Honolulu, HI
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Hole in the Wall Restaurants

I have read about all of the high end restaurants in Chicago, but I would like suggestions on the "hole in the wall" restaurants that the locals go to. Good food, good price, any type of ethnic food. Nothing fancy.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
7,211 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hole in the Wall Restaurants

Tani, I think most of the responders here have mentioned more modest dining establishments as well as the more upscale ones. I know I have.

You'll have to go into the neighborhoods for these, as a rule. Which neighborhoods are you planning on visiting when you are here?

Wauconda, Illinois
Level Contributor
983 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hole in the Wall Restaurants

Cafe Lucci in Glenview. It has some of the best Italian food ever. However, it doesn't look like much on the outside and is in a more residential neighborhood. It is on Milwaukee Ave up there, but you can google them to get the full directions.

Wauconda, Illinois
Level Contributor
983 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hole in the Wall Restaurants

Perry's Deli is in the loop. They have amayzingly huge and good sandwiches. It is a pretty famous place amoung the people who work in the west Loop. It is just off of Franklin and Lake.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hole in the Wall Restaurants

www.metromix.com

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hole in the Wall Restaurants

Hollywood Diner for breakfast on Ashland and North Ave and Choppers for Italian Beef on Ashland and Wabansia, both in Bucktown. For Greek Food, Athenian Room on Webster and Halstead in old town.

Midwest
Level Contributor
114 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hole in the Wall Restaurants

Bucktown/Wicker Park ideas: I agree on the Choppers recommendation (get the "Choppak"). Also La Pasidita at Division and Ashland (great tacos, burritos & tortas - note there are 3 separate locations on the same corner -same owners but different menus). Also not terribly cheap but good cocktails is Club Lucky on Wabasia just E of Damen (casual dress works here). Good burgers at Fizz on Lincoln just N of Belmont. Brunch at the Bongo Room on Milwaukee btwn Division & North Ave. is not too pricey, but expect lines if you are not there when they open. Also, for really high end food but keeping the price relatively low, try BYOB at Schwa on Ashland just S of North Ave (again, casual dress works here). Also good bar food at Darwins on Damen just S of Armitage. Also the famous Harold's Chicken Shack finally opened a store on the North Side - it's on Milwaukee a few blocks N of Division. Go to Margies for ice cream - it's been there forever and is good - it's at Armitage & Western. Great sandwiches at Milk & Honey Cafe (on Division near Damen).

Wauconda, Illinois
Level Contributor
983 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hole in the Wall Restaurants

I second Margies Candies for Ice Cream. Kind of a hole-in-the-wall place, but great treats there!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,021 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hole in the Wall Restaurants

For a great sub sandwich and homemade soup - http://www.capnemos.com/index.html

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
79 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hole in the Wall Restaurants

French: La Creperie just north of Clark and Diversey. Cute little French restaurant specializing in savory crepes for dinner and sweet crepes for desserts. They have a really great house salad, and I love the chicken curry crepe. One of our favourites.

Chinese: Old Szechuan in Chinatown, located at the end of New Chinatown Square across from the Walgreens. Love the food here. Get the Chef's Specials. My other favorite in Chinatown is Penang. The Roti Canai and the Buddhist Yam pot are so good.

Vietnamese: Hai Yen on Argyle. Their noodles are really yummy.

Middle Eastern: Cousin's, on Broadway right off Clark and Diversey, is not really a hole in the wall, but a moderately priced restaurant. You can choose to sit at a low table with pillows, or at regular tables. Love the kabobs. Sinbad's is really a hole in the wall, located west off of Clark and Belmont (I think). Cheap and good.

Pizza: Lou Malnati's anywhere in the city. We usually order from here and we think it's the best deep dish in the city. Get the buttercrust!

Wauconda, Illinois
Level Contributor
983 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hole in the Wall Restaurants

If you are out by the Airport try Paradise Pup on River Rd in Des Plaines. They are only open from 11:30 am till 5pm. However they have the best burger and three layer fries! Yum!!!