We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Separate beds in hotel room?

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
2 posts
Save Topic
Separate beds in hotel room?

Hi all,

I have tried searching for info on this online and in the forums but haven't had much luck. I am travelling to Chicago with a friend in July, and we want to share a hotel room that has separate (single or double) beds for us. In europe these are "twin" rooms, and are very common, but when I search websites like hotels.com, I end up with hotels that only have queen or king sized beds in the room.

Can anyone help me with a reasonably priced hotel near the city centre with rooms suitable for us? We are only in Chicago 2 days en route to somewhere else, so would like to be near the city centre or at least with good connections to it.

Thaks!

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,154 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Separate beds in hotel room?

Most hotels have a mix of bed types, but it is becoming common here to charge more for rooms with two beds. Check the listings on www.booking.com It has listings by bed type that you should find easier to use. It also lists a few budget places that may be suitable; see DeWitt Place and the International Hostel. If you want more recommendations, please give us your specific dates, and the hotels you are considering.

Edited: 5:47 am, April 01, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Separate beds in hotel room?

Thanks for your reply. I haven't been able to find a feature on any of the search sites that lets you sears or list by room type? Booking has it but it' lists double and twin rooms in the same category, and I specifically don't want a double room (1 double bed).

We'll be there 18th to 20th July and so far I've looked at the Congress Plaza, which seems to be only reasonable hotel in the city centre with the room type I'm looking for.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,209 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Separate beds in hotel room?

$99 for private room with bunk beds at the international hostel, I'd rather stay there than pay $149 for the congress

Another option is to wait a bit and use hotwire.com

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44,805 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Separate beds in hotel room?

http://www.travelzoo.com/hotels/chicago/

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Separate beds in hotel room?

Unless you are looking at hostels, you probably won't find a room with twin beds - it's just not common in the U.S. Some hotels have 2 double beds, but these days I've found it's becoming increasingly common to have 2 queens.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
14,951 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Separate beds in hotel room?

That last twin bed I saw in a hotel was in the York Hotel in Toronto Canada 30 years ago. The US hoteliers don't do twin beds. If you find a hotel with twin beds, don't stay there. You don't say what ages you and your travelling companion are but if you are under 30, the Hostel idea might be a good one for you to check out. Or, a Bed and Breakfast in a neighborhood. I wouldn't make twin beds a priority in finding a room in the USA.

Edited: 10:10 am, April 01, 2013
Chicago
Level Contributor
6,412 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Separate beds in hotel room?

Why does it have to be twin beds, or is it just that you think twins would be cheaper? Even when I travel alone in Europe I usually book a double bed just so the room is a tad bigger.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
936 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Separate beds in hotel room?

if a room is called double here, it usually means double queen, which is 2 queen sized beds.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,154 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Separate beds in hotel room?

If it just says "Queen Room," or "Double Room," it would have one bed. The rooms with two beds have those clearly marked, and you will pay more. A room with two twin-sized beds is a rarity in the US - you might look for a BnB that has a room like that. Or, try www.airbnb.com, a rental service that features rooms in people's homes.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Separate beds in hotel room?

I book hotels all the time, and I always have the choice of one king or two queens. Even if I am alone, I pick the two queens, and the price has never been different. Of course, I don't use the websites that claim they are discounted, I use the hotel website itself.