We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loose itinerary for this weekend, need food help

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Loose itinerary for this weekend, need food help

Hey all! Thank you so much for all the helpful suggestions I've received so far. We have a loose itinerary planned, but still need some help. We are both 30-something parents. This is our first visit to Chicago as adults, and our first time away from all 3 kids ever since #3 came along.

We arrive via Amtrack at 0945 Friday morning. We have 3 day transit passes, so we will be using public transport for our whole stay. We are going to try to check in to the Hilton on South Michigan early. If we can't, I'm at least going to leave our backpack there. Looking for good breakfast/brunch/lunch suggestions for Friday. Need to keep it veggie/pasta/seafood for the day. First stop is going to be the Shedd, or the Field Museum. I haven't decided which I'd rather see. I'm an environmental geologist, so the Field is more my type of place. But I love marine mammals. We've been to the Newport Aquarium in Kentucky, as well as Ripley Aquariums. Aside from the marine mammals, anything really different worth seeing?

After that, we'd like to head up to Mag Mile and/or Navy Pier for a bit. (may stop at the Hilton and check in if we need to). I am NOT really a shopper, so going to Mag Mile is not my cup of tes, but my husband likes to shop. We are wanting to do Chicago style pizza for dinner. Lou Malnati's perhaps? Anyplace in town known for desserts and/or coffee (not starbucks, please) for after dinner?

Saturday morning, we need someplace to do breakfast. Does this Hilton offer a breakfast buffet? We're than planning on taking the Orange Line to Southwest Ave and visiting the Fire Museum of Chicago. Husband is a firefighter and history buff. Any local restaurants worth visiting in this neighborhood for a late lunch? Take the El back to The Loop. Walk around Millenium Park (weather permitting), maybe the Art Institute. Maybe go back up to Mag Mile. Looking for dinner suggestions for Saturday. Also looking for things to do between dinner and getting back to Union Station around 2100 Saturday night. Willis Tower maybe? $17 just to go up on an observation deck seems a bit much. Is it worth it?

Thanks again for all the help!

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loose itinerary for this weekend, need food help

For breakfast: Yolk, 1120 S Michigan Avenue or Bongo Room, 1152 S Wabash Ave. Both have terrific food and sometimes long lines on weekends. Friday shouldn't be bad. See reviews on yelp.com

You mentioned dietary restrictions on Friday - are you coming this week? Check the lines to get into the aquarium ; you may want to opt for the Field because it can handle a lot more people on a day like Good Friday. Or, swap your plans and hit the Art Institute on Friday, and do the other options on Saturday, when you can be there at opening.

You may want to do a nicer dinner on Friday, when you can return to your hotel and change clothes, instead of wearing traveling clothes and carrying a backpack - that will fit in at a pizza place.

Navy Pier is open til about 10 PM so you can play it by ear as to whether you want to go after your busy day. A trip on the ferris wheel can substitute for the Willis Tower, but it can be cold up there. I wouldn't go up in the Skydeck after dark or on a cloudy day; going before dusk, when weather is clear, is much more interesting.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,349 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Loose itinerary for this weekend, need food help

Breakfast/lunch after you get off of Amtrak - www.loumitchellsrestaurant.com/about_us.html

Closer to your hotel - http://www.elevencitydiner.com/

http://www.artists-cafe.com/

Mag Mile dessert options:

ghirardelli.com/locations-events/…chicago-il

thehersheycompany.com/about-hershey/visit-he…

http://oaktreechicago.com/

sprinkles.com/cupcake-bakery-locations/…

yelp.com/biz/hendrickx-belgian-bread-crafter…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,019 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Loose itinerary for this weekend, need food help

You can go up in the Hancock building instead of the Willis Tower, although it's not as close to Union Station. View is just as good and maybe better, and you can go to the Signature room and get the view for just the price of drinks.

You can also eat dinner there, if you want. The food is OK, but you get the view at dinner. Make reservations if you do this as it can get busy otherwise.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,998 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Loose itinerary for this weekend, need food help

the jellyfish exhibit at the shed is extraordinary. I can't imagine you NOT being fascinated by it. The dolphin "show" sucks though. For a nice dinner, how about Bistrot Margot in Old Town. Casual french diner, and the street itself, Wells Street, is a fun place to walk around before or after. Interesting shops, such as spice shop, fudge shop, vintage poster shop, intimate little wine shop, etc.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,349 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Loose itinerary for this weekend, need food help

Forgot to mention - not much within walking distance of the fire museum in terms of decent eats. That part of Western Ave is basically one fast food spot after another.

Your husband also might enjoy - time.com/time/…00.html - sorry,no gift shop.It's a 1/2 block from - http://www.mannysdeli.com/ - good eats.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
558 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Loose itinerary for this weekend, need food help

I really like Lou Mitchell's for breakfast and it's about a block walking distance from the train station. Near the Field Musuem is Kim & Carlos Hot Dog Stand where you can get a pretty good Chicago-style hot dog but is cash only. Inside the Field Museum is Corner Bakery, a national chain that does good sandwiches, salads, and other casual food. Also for deep-dish pizza, Giordano's makes a pretty good one and has multiple locations.

7. Re: Loose itinerary for this weekend, need food help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 02, 2014