We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kid Friendly restaurants?

chicago,il
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Kid Friendly restaurants?

We are taking the kids (ages 10 and 7) to Chicago one day during spring break. We are planning on going to the Willis Tower and maybe the Shedd Aquarium. Where would be a good place to take them for lunch?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,105 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kid Friendly restaurants?

If you're planning to stay in the Loop and Grant Park, there are plenty of options from hot dog joints to some almost fine dining. Check the restaurant list on TA menu bar. Filter/sort by Loop location, cuisine, price range...

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,873 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kid Friendly restaurants?

.....as well as the online dining listings at www.chicagoreader.com and www.chicagomag.com

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,144 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kid Friendly restaurants?

If you're really just here the one day, and trying to fit both of those in, you may want to just eat in the Aquarium to save time. Both those sites get busy and can have long entrance lines. The aquarium can easily take the better part of a day. If you went there first and tried to see most of it, you'd be there well past lunchtime.

If you do try to eat somewhere, look for restaurants in the loop on any of the sites suggested above. Any restaurant in the loop will be walking distance from the Willis Tower. There's also several restaurants in the tower that you can eat at before going up to the Skydeck.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kid Friendly restaurants?

I'd say avoid the restaurants in the aquarium - long lines for not-so-special food. If you are taking a cab to Willis/Sears, get off a couple of blocks before Willis - I'd suggest Potbelly's at 209 S. LaSalle. It has good, simple food at decent prices. If you are walking the 2 miles, I'd suggest stopping about halfway, near Jackson and Michigan or State.

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,038 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kid Friendly restaurants?

I like Greektown, which is kid friendly but with good adult food too. Athena's might be nice because it has an enclosed glass window garden so you feel like you are outside, but you aren't. It has nice views of the skyline too. My son loves to order saganaki (where they set the cheese on fire and yell OOMPAH)...and then the kids can get a chicken or pasta dishes. Greektown is near Willis Tower. You could go to the Aq first thing in the morning, then head to Greektown and then walk over to Willis afterward.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,144 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kid Friendly restaurants?

I agree the food in the aquarium is nothing special. It's more a matter of timing. I'm guessing if you do the aquarium first, you'll still be there at lunchtime and either will have to eat there or cut your visit short. Every time I've taken visitors to the aquarium, we end up being there until 2 or 3 in the afternoon.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,504 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kid Friendly restaurants?

kids love ed debevicks, the food isnt great but its fun

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
560 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kid Friendly restaurants?

Between the Aquarium and the Field Museum is Kit & Carlos Hot Dog Stand with pretty good hot dogs and polish sausage but it's cash only. Inside the Field Museum is Corner Bakery with sandwiches, salads, pasta, and baked goods.

While in Chicago, try some deep dish pizza - Due, Lou Malnati or Giordano's (multiple locations).

Edited: 9:10 pm, March 31, 2013
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
827 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kid Friendly restaurants?

my kids love Ginos east....you can catch the bus from the shed and come up to Ohio & Michigan--it's right there....writing on the walls is fun!! also if you head up to the FREE lincoln park zoo RJ Grunts isn't cheap but it's VERY kid friendly....also Food life food court in water tower....

10. Re: Kid Friendly restaurants?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 05, 2014