We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conventions/Crowds

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Conventions/Crowds

This would. perhaps, be a question for a native Chicagoian.

I am planning a trip To Chicago August 31-September 4, 2006. There are two conventions scheduled with approximately 10,000 delagates each. There are also a few other conventions with considrably smaller delegations. This is alos the week of the Jazz Festival (Labor Day).

My question is will these events make for uncomfortable crowds or is this pretty normal?

My plan is to take in a Cubs game and some theater as well as see the normal sights of the city.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wauconda, Illinois
Level Contributor
984 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Conventions/Crowds

First, this is a city and usually always pretty crowded. A flux of about 1 million people commute in each day from the burbs. Any fest will attract a lot of crowds. Especially something like the Taste of Chicago or Viennitan night. Plus, just last week that there was an announcement that hotel prices are not going down on the weekends because of the large crowds coming into the city for events.

Usually the convetion crowds are separate from the Fest crowds as the Fest are in Grant Park and the convetions are at McCormick place. This is especially true becuase conventions are during the day and fest are usually at night. Plus, when you think about it, Soldier field holds 50k. A demand of 20k people is nothing for Chicago.

However, this means that people are competing for the same resources such hotels, which drives up cost. I am sure that if you were to try to get on the Metra Electric or South Shore line you would see much larger crowds.

I would say that you are pretty safe with the Cubs game as there are always conventions happening in this city. As the Cubs are not doing so good right now, I would say you could pick up a pair of tickets at cost or below.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Conventions/Crowds

Thanks so much Brian. I appreciate your quick response. I have Cubs tickets in hand and win or lose I get to see Wrigley Field.

One of the conventions I am speaking of is at UIC the other is in Rosemont.

I am thinking of staying somewhere near Water Tower Place.

I am also seeing a show at the Drury Lane Theater.

Have you or anyone you know seen the Chicago version of Blue Man Group?

Thanks Again for your help.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51,287 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Conventions/Crowds

I've seen Blue Man here. It's great.

If the meetings are at UIC & Rosemont - as Brian indicated - you won't see any unusually large crowds during the day.

Also as noted - hotel occupany here is on the rise and the properties are taking advantage of it. Book early.

4. Re: Conventions/Crowds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, August 12, 2009