We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need recomendations for dinner in our first night

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
565 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Need recomendations for dinner in our first night

We will be arriving from a long drive from Michigan; we will be checking in at our hotel around 6-7pm. So I was thinking that it would be ideal to go and dine somewhere near the hotel (Talbott), not taking a cab but just walking to get the feel of the City and stretch our legs. Hubby and BIL want the Cheesecake Factory but even though I like their food, it seems so.. dark? enclosed? not ideal for a first taste of the city.

We're a group of 7 including a preteen, a young teen (both my kids), a guy in his late 20's, a couple in ther middle 30's, and we old guys in our middle 40's :-) so we need something live but adecuate for our kids.

We don't mind to walk, we actually love to do it, but since it's our first night, I don't want to overdo.

I love seafood, so I was looking into McCormicks (never been to one), I also considered Gibson's but that one is a little bit out of our budget, I was considering something around $100 usd for the 4 of us.

Thanks!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need recomendations for dinner in our first night

If alcohol is involved it might be tough on that budget but check out

Jellyfish

http://www.jellyfishchicago.com/

It is very close to the Talbott.

If you are arriving on a Friday or Saturday evening a table for 7 might be tough so be sure to call ahead.

B.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
565 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need recomendations for dinner in our first night

We're arriving on a Monday, and since we'll be stopping in our way to Illinois, I can't be certain of the hour... we will also have to drop our rental first and then head to the hotel.

As for alcohol, maybe beer but it's not included in the budget. We usually order an appetizer and our entrees, both kids eat as adults now :-( but they prefer simple dishes, like hamburguers, fried shrimp, fish & chips, grilled salmon...

I will look at that restaurant, thanks.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,823 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need recomendations for dinner in our first night

There are too many restaurants within walking distance of the Talbott to suggest a specific one, and since we don't really know you it makes it difficult. The Cheesecake Factory IS dark and weird. It has a sister restaurant that might fit your request : The Grand Lux. Walk south from your hotel on Rush St and then turn left on Ontario. you'll see it down the block across the street. Lou Malnati's Pizza opened their newest joint on Rush just a couple of blocks north of the Talbott. The Green Goddess and Grocery deli is across the street from the hotel, Mity Nice Grill and Foodlife are in the Water Tower Mall on the mezzanine level. Tempo Cafe is an late-nighter (what we used to call a "Greek Restaurant") a block away which is handy if you arrive late and tired. Big Bowl is north of theTalbott across from Lou Malnoti's. Gaylord of India is on Walton St a couple of blocks away. Epic Burger is two blocks south. The concierge/front desk at the Talbott can direct you.

Edited: 12:54 pm, February 15, 2013
Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
565 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need recomendations for dinner in our first night

Great suggestions!! Now that you mentioned, Lou Malnati's seems a good option. Everyone wants to taste Chicago pizza (yeah, I know, turists!) and it's relaxed, so maybe that's a better option for the first night,.

I'll look at the other options, so we can have different restaurants and we can decide what we want once we arrive, depending on the mood.

Thanks so much!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,728 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need recomendations for dinner in our first night

Drop your luggage and your passengers at the hotel before you return the rental.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need recomendations for dinner in our first night

...and have them walk to Malnati's and get the pizza ordered so you aren't waiting too long when you are tired and hungry! Deep dish takes 30-45 minutes to prepare.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
565 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need recomendations for dinner in our first night

Dave & pgo... good tips, I'm thinking in a rental near the Clark/Lake location, so it's very close. My husband and his brothers are dying to try that deep dish, so I know how to convice them now to go to Malnati's instead of the CCF.

Chicago, IL USA
Level Contributor
342 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need recomendations for dinner in our first night

Malnati's is good but if you want to go where deep dish started you should go to Pizzaria Uno. Its on Ohio near Michigan. A legendary restaurant.

9. Re: Need recomendations for dinner in our first night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 18, 2014