We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

blue line from Ohare to downtown

Palm Harbor, Florida
2 posts
Save Topic
blue line from Ohare to downtown

My wife and I will be traveling to Chicago in the coming days and planned on using the train to and from the airport to our hotel in the city. Is the ride relatively safe or does it stop in rough neighborhoods.

Libertyville...
Level Contributor
109 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: blue line from Ohare to downtown

The ride is safe, and you will be on a train with a bunch of other people who just flew into Chicago (i.e., just like you). The same precautions taken when traveling on public transportation anywhere else in world should be observed.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,973 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: blue line from Ohare to downtown

Not only is the ride safe, it is very safe between O'Hare and the Clinton Station heading out of the downtown. What is your destination? That might affect the full answer. If your coming downtown you shouldn't worry. If you're going past the Clinton station it enters into the equation.

Saint Charles...
Level Contributor
205 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: blue line from Ohare to downtown

Using the CTA blue line train starting from ORD (Chicago O'Hare International Airport) you should be sure to have small bills ready to load your first CTA card. That O'Hare airport station has no change machines. If all that you have is a $20 then the whole thing will go onto the card. I've had cards handed to me from passengers returning to O'Hare with $5.00+ on them because people had to use big bills when they first entered the system.

It used to be only $2.25 in one direction, but I think that recently they raised fares for some things in that system.

You might also want to look at this link:

http://www.transitchicago.com/airports/

Palm Harbor, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: blue line from Ohare to downtown

We are staying at the Sofitel on Chesnut. I understand that we should exit train at Clark street station. Cab to hotel.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: blue line from Ohare to downtown

You should be able to use your credit card at the O'Hare CTA station and pay the exact amount.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,973 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: blue line from Ohare to downtown

Cab info is correct. It will be an $8-$10 ride (incl tip).

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: blue line from Ohare to downtown

The fare when boarding at O'Hare is $5 if you buy a Transit Card from one of the vending machines at the stations. (The return trip is $2.25.)

There are two types of Transit Card vending machines. Here is a picture:

transitchicago.com/travel_information/fares/…

The two machines on the left are called Transit Card vending machines. They take coins and bills up to $20 (no pennies or 50 cent pieces). They do not make change. There are six of them at O'Hare. They issue a Transit Card for however much money you put into them.

The machine on the right is an Express Vending Machine. It accepts credit cards only. O'Hare has two (look on both sides of the wall). Very few other train stations have Express Vending Machines. The Express Vending Machines issue cards only in multiples of $5 ($5, $10, $15, $20, and $25). It is not unusual for one or both of these machines to be out of order.

I would advise you to just bring some $5 bills with you.

The machines are on both sides of the wall where the man in this photo is standing:

transitchicago.com/travel_information/…

There are also two Pass Vending Machines. They are the machines next to the oranage pillars in the above picture. They take credit cards and paper money. No change. They sell passes that are good for 1, 3, or 7 consecutive days of unlimited rides. It is not unusual for the credit card readers and/or the cash slots to be out of order.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,349 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: blue line from Ohare to downtown

If your arrival is more than two weeks away - you can order Visitor Fun Passes online ahead of time with free shipping. faremedia.chicago-card.com/store/main.aspx…

9. Re: blue line from Ohare to downtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 16, 2014