We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Art Deco hotels

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Art Deco hotels

My husband loves Art Deco buildings and I thought we could stay in an art deco hotel while visiting Chicago. Anyone got any ideas

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51,284 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Art Deco hotels

Welcome to TA.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g35805-i32-k188236…

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,233 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Art Deco hotels

The Allegro is the epitome of art deco.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
936 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Art Deco hotels

While it is not really an Art Deco Hotel, I would look into the Hotel Burnham, in one of the oldest skyscrapers in the world. The windows and restoration are amazing. It would definitely be my choice for anyone interested in chicago architecture. The furniture tends to run towards the Art Deco, but the style of the building itself is called The Chicago School.

http://www.burnhamhotel.com/

London, United...
Level Contributor
183 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Art Deco hotels

Palmer House is a nice option that is in the heart of the Loop. Owned by the Hilton chain now, they just went through a massive renovation / restoration project. The lobby offers a nice lounge, where you can get table-service for cocktails. The founder's wife supposedly invented the brownie, back in the day.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,705 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Art Deco hotels

Definitely the Allegro. It was designed as the second Bismarck Hotel by the Chicago architectural firm of Rapp & Rapp in 1926 (after the bros. returned from the Paris Expo de...). Rapp & Rapp also designed the Palace Theatre in the building. It was wonderfully refurbished and modernized by Kimpton Hotels in 2008. The buildings art deco bones were respected by designer Martha Angus.

The other hotel in an art deco building is the Hard Rock Hotel in the old Carbon and Carbide Building on Michigan Ave. It was an office building so the interior remodelling is all new wine in an old bottle but the old bottle is amazing.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,705 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Art Deco hotels

The Palmer House lobby is gorgeous late 1920's Adam Style architecture and restored decor. It's not Art Deco but you must visit it and the Hilton and Towers main lobby on Michigan Ave. The Hilton was originally built as The Steven's (the S is still part of the iron and bronze work). You will find Lady Slipper chairs from the SS Normandie in the lobby mezzanine.

Look at viator.com/tours/…d673-3173DECO

www.artdecoworld.com/gallerychicago.htm

And if you can get tickets to the Lyric Opera, it's worth sitting through a Handel opera to enjoy the theatre. Check if something is showing at the Paramount Theatre in Aurora. It's also Rapp & Rapp architects but in their best deco style. It has also been well restored. Aurora is the last stop on the West Metra line but if your husband is a deco buff it will interest him.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Art Deco hotels

Many thanks for all your advice

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
99 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Art Deco hotels

The Intercontinental is a nice Art Deco hotel. You must visit the pool on the top floor to see a wonderful example of Art Deco design. Gorgeous!! You can take a peek without staying there.

I agree that the Hard Rock Hotel is another beautiful example of a beautiful Art Deco classic building.

Chicago, Illinois
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Art Deco hotels

If your husband like a lot art deco buildings I think the perfect place in Chicago for you is the Monaco Hotel. In the range of this type of hotels it is not the most expensive one but still it provides a good experience. I can tell you so because the business manager of the company I work for stayed there last summer and I was in charge of making the arrangements. He left very happy and he came back. The rooms are very cool and all the views of the rooms impressive. From the suite the skyline of the city is lovely. Location is good both if you are coming to town for business or tourism.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,705 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Art Deco hotels

Actually, Jackie, the Monaco is a repurposing of a 1970's office building. Kimpton hotel's decor is a wild mix of art nouveau, art moderne and a big dose of faux Italian Renaissance. It's a lot of fun, but not Art Deco for an Art Deco fan. It's 80 years too late for Art Deco.

The suggestion of the Intercontinental is one I didn't think of. The old building was built in 1928 as the Shriner's Medinah Athletic Club. ...lots of oriental deco: Syrian, Babylonian, Egyptian... And a Roman/Greco Bath indoor swimming pool.

We really don't have a Savoy here. Or an Odeon Leicester Square.