We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

O'hare airport: short layover

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
52 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
O'hare airport: short layover

To people who have experience at this airport:

I'm looking for tickets and there is one with a 37minutes layover in Chicago for domestic inbound to Canada flight

-Am i going to make my flight?

- Is it same terminal?

- Are my bags going to make?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,090 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: O'hare airport: short layover

Are you staying on the same airline? Code share a la Alaska to American doesn't count and I've had numerous problems with American at Sea-Tac not taking off on schedule. Are you changing terminals? Does your carrier(s) guarantee the connections? Sea-Tac to ORD is a long haul. I'd feel better with at least an hour transfer time.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,166 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: O'hare airport: short layover

That's a tight transfer. There's no way of knowing for sure whether you'll have enough time - you may be 15 minutes early in arriving but sit 20 on the ground minutes waiting for a gate. O'Hare arrival times are often padded to reflect ground congestion, but if the weather is bad, delays are extremely common. And it isn't just our weather; storms in other parts of the country can create delays in planes or crews arrivals.

I'd look at the week's worth of arrivals and departures for the two flights, where the gates are, and decide whether you want to risk it. However, IMO, you may not make the connection unless the gates are very close together, and your luggage almost certainly won't make it.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
52 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: O'hare airport: short layover

it's the red eye on a Friday night to Sat morning. Both United , both terminal 1

I don't like it but it's a good deal- they have more flights later so maybe they would just put me on one of those if i miss it.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,476 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: O'hare airport: short layover

UA will automatically rebook you on the next flight. No worries.

Here's a map of T1 - flychicago.com/ohare/…default.aspx

San Francisco...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: O'hare airport: short layover

My family of 5 adults will be arriving at O'Hare on United at terminal one and leaving for Dublin on Aer Lingus at Terminal five. We will have just under two hours between flights. Is that enough time? Is it possible that they won't allow us on the flight? When the reservations were made, we had 40 more minutes, but the time of the United flight was changed.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,769 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: O'hare airport: short layover

Very possible as long as the flights are on time and if this one ticket and your bags are checked through. But not much extra time to account for delays. Given you'll wait at least a full day if you miss the connection, I'd like to have a bit more.

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,519 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: O'hare airport: short layover

Unless there is a delay of some sort you should be fine, assuming you are flying on one ticket so you are already checked in and won't have to pick up baggage.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,476 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: O'hare airport: short layover

You'll take a tram (people mover) from T1 to T5. After you exit the plane, follow the signs towards the main terminal. You'll catch the tram opposite the United ticket counters. Very easy. No worries.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
280 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: O'hare airport: short layover

Try to get a longer layover. One of you questions is am I changing terminals? We can't tell you that! Are you changing terminals? It takes about 30 minutes to change terminals.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,476 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: O'hare airport: short layover

JR - please reread the #5 post. They are arriving in T1 and departing out of T5. we've given them the correct information.