We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

O'Hare to western Michigan in a car

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,371 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
O'Hare to western Michigan in a car

Traveling on Friday, leaving O'Hare about 9am to western Michigan. Would you suggest taking I-294 around the city to I-94 or taking I-90 to I-94?

How about returning on Saturday late afternoon?

Thank you!

Arlington Heights...
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: O'Hare to western Michigan in a car

That time of day, go right through the city--out of O'Hare 90 East, joins with 94 through town, then stay on 90 (the Skyway) and join back up with 94 into Michigan.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,482 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: O'Hare to western Michigan in a car

Same for the reverse on Saturday.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: O'Hare to western Michigan in a car

Tossup on Friday and 294 on Saturday.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,371 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: O'Hare to western Michigan in a car

Thank you all for your quick replies. Rick, why do you say 294 on Saturday (since the others seem to think I-90 was OK on Saturday). I will be arriving at ORD about 5.30pm on Saturday.

Edited: 3:02 pm, January 07, 2013
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: O'Hare to western Michigan in a car

I would check the traffic first and then make a decision. Less chance of traffic on 294 but longer route.

B.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,482 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: O'Hare to western Michigan in a car

AM 780 - traffic reports every 10 minutes.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: O'Hare to western Michigan in a car

I've hit bad traffic on Saturdays going into both downtown and the O'Hare area. Personally, unless I wanted to stop somewhere in the city on the way, I would take 294 both ways.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,429 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: O'Hare to western Michigan in a car

Go right through the city.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,199 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: O'Hare to western Michigan in a car

I live close to the 90/94 junction. Fridays are usually busy until at least 9:30 AM. I'd use 294 on your arrival day. Saturday will depend - use the radio or other traffic report for the Dan Ryan northbound and 90 outbound.

If you are using the Skyway bridge, I-294 or the Indiana Tollway, you'll want an I-Pass or i-Zoom to save considerable time and money.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,757 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: O'Hare to western Michigan in a car

second the AM 780 (or FM 105.9) traffic reports suggestion.... their traffic reports on the 8's are very helpful in making routing decisions---it's a godsend whenever i come home from michigan....

if you take the 294, you'll also pay a fair amount of tolls to get to michigan, especially if you don't have a transponder... also, the skyway/indiana toll road is obnoxiously expensive.... you can drive thru the city without jumping on the skyway---just continue on I-94 (bishop ford expressway) till it merges with I-80....

so that all being said, listen to the radio and a make a decision then....

and one final note: you prolly won't have to worry about this because it's been such a non-winter for us, but NW indiana and western MI are very susceptible to Lake Effect snowstorms during "normal" winters.... they can appear without notice: it could be sunny one minute, then near whiteout conditions the next..... this week is supposed to be very mild, but depending when you return, it's something to be aware of......just in case.

Edited: 6:21 pm, January 07, 2013