We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book of Mormon / Drake Hotel / Restaurants Suggested?

NYC
Level Contributor
68 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Book of Mormon / Drake Hotel / Restaurants Suggested?

Going to see BOOK OF MORMON in May. Hoping to stay at THE DRAKE. Couple things to verify, some clarification to some posts I've read that concern me:

1) Our seats for THE BOOK OF MORMON are "partial view obstructed" but look okay. Any 'review' by someone that's sat in these partially obstructed view seats? I can't believe they'd sell a 'terrible' seat, so I"m hoping they're okay?

2) I'm a HILTON guy and notice that THE DRAKE is a Hilton property now. Is it still a nice place? Good location near theater? Do they have a special Hilton Honors floor/lounge?

3) Any suggestions for restaurants in the area? Anything real special or unique? I went to a Russian restaurant somewhere near there many years ago. Tend to like local specialty ethnic food. Not steakhouse.

4) Finally, is there a deep dish pizza place there close by? Lou Malnati's? I've been to the one out in the burbs and liked it.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,972 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Book of Mormon / Drake Hotel / Restaurants Suggested?

The Majestic/Shubert/BofA theatre is old. Partial view seats are in the "balcony" which was actually built as the under balcony mezzanine. The theatre renamed it's sections because they could not sell the Mezzanine seats so they fool people by calling it "balcony". Those are probably the seats you have. There are some iron poles holding up the real balcony above you on this ledge and it is tucked under the real balcony so your view of the top of the proscenium is cut off. The partial view of the action on the stage is no worse than having a tall person with big hair sitting in front of you on the Orchestra floor. I find it unfortunately claustrophonic.

The Drake is our grand dame of hotels. It is at the top of Michigan Ave's "Magnificent Mile" near the Hancock Tower. You will have a $10.00 taxi ride to the theatre. You can also take the red line subway for $2.25. You should contact the hotel for a list of perks. They do have Executive rooms with private lounge access. I've put my parents in a junior suite which was very nice. But they didn't mention a private lounge at that room level. The Palmer House Hilton (the lobby is the closest thing we have to your 1920s Waldorf ambience but the rooms are small) and the Chicago Hilton (the grand dame convention hotels. Accent on "Convention hotel") ) are in the Loop, closer to the theatre, but the Drake is the better hotel and has location. If you want the top of the line Hilton brand stay at the new Waldorf Astoria which is two blocks from the Drake.

There are too many restaurants to mention in the area of the Drake, and many around the BofA Theatre, to make a specific suggestion. The Russian Restaurant is near the BOAT : Russian Tea Time on Adams St. I dined at The Russian Tea Room NYC last month and our Russian Tea Time makes the new incarnation of your the Russian Tea Room look bad (taste bad too). Lou Malnati's newest location is four blocks from the Drake. Try Sayat Nova for Armenian, Bistro Zinc for French, Le Colonial for Vietnamese, Jellyfish for sushi/Japanese: all within walking distance of the Drake. There are about 300 other fine dining restaurants in the Near North neighborhood and another 100 recommendable sit-down places in the Loop around the Theatre. Then there are the hot dog hole-in-the-walls and greek restaurants all around. You can ignore the 30 steak houses.

NYC
Level Contributor
68 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Book of Mormon / Drake Hotel / Restaurants Suggested?

wow, thanks for the helpful info. All good news. I'll check out seats, but I'm glad to have scored tickets for a Saturday night performance. Happy Holidays and thanks again.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,349 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Book of Mormon / Drake Hotel / Restaurants Suggested?

www.chicagoreader.com and www.chicagomag,com are good online dining resources. You can read restaurant reviews and search by area, cuisine, budget etc.

Your a quick cab ride away from Greektown.

NYC
Level Contributor
68 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Book of Mormon / Drake Hotel / Restaurants Suggested?

Am also looking at the PALMER HOUSE which is now a Hilton property. I pretty much ruled out the Chicago Hilton as we're looking for something that doesn't feel like a chain. And thanks for the info on the Russian restaurant. That will be on our list to do while there.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,972 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Book of Mormon / Drake Hotel / Restaurants Suggested?

Good idea not to go for the obvious brand style. That leaves the Drake and the Waldorf Astoria as Hiltons without the obvious Hilton feel.

Be careful of the beet salad at Russian Tea Time. It has more garlic than your seat-mates in the theatre will appreciate!

You did score a coup on Saturday night. I called within the first 45 minutes of tickets going on sale for subscribers and got Mezz seats (which in the BOAT is the front of the real balcony) 2 months out.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,542 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Book of Mormon / Drake Hotel / Restaurants Suggested?

If you have the means or points the Waldorf Astoria is a phenomenal hotel. Rated best in the country.

B.

NYC
Level Contributor
68 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Book of Mormon / Drake Hotel / Restaurants Suggested?

Thanks. Great info.

How 'bout the PALMER HOUSE? Anyone stayed there lately?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,349 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Book of Mormon / Drake Hotel / Restaurants Suggested?

2,682 reviews on TA - tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g35805-d111501-…

Newark, Ohio
Level Contributor
108 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Book of Mormon / Drake Hotel / Restaurants Suggested?

We are going to Chicago this weekend - staying at The Palmer House and also have obstructed view seats for The Book of Mormon. I will repost with how both were after the first of the year.

NYC
Level Contributor
68 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Book of Mormon / Drake Hotel / Restaurants Suggested?

Thanks---great minds think alike, except I sure couldn't get tickets this early in the show's run. Let me know what you think of the show too. Enjoy, safe travels.