We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walnut room

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
Level Contributor
8,314 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
walnut room

Do they take reservations for December? Opentable says contact restaurant but they have not responded to my messages

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,429 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walnut room

Last year they took reservations at the walnut room: on site, at the time. We went up at 10:30 and got a seating time of 12:45. There was no long line - it worked perfectly. You had to be in the store in person as the temporary reservations kiosk had no phone or communication to the outside. Business-wise, I thought this made lot of sense; the patron is in the store so no-shows are all but eliminated, no standing in an hour long line, the store benefits by giving time slots to it's shoppers. When you go Christmas shopping at Macy's, go to the Walnut Room first and get your time slot.

Edited: 10:00 am, November 03, 2012
chicago
Level Contributor
8,314 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walnut room

That works, we want to go at 5 so hopefully I can figure out the right time to check in

What do you recommend? Talking Chinese couple who eat Chinese every day so they won't know the menu, pot pie?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,429 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walnut room

The chicken pot pie has been disappointing the last couple of times. It's gotten watery; more like dense soup with a crust, but it's tasty. I did find a couple of pieces of chicken in it. The Field's Special salad is an old standby. I'd choose something other than the trusty standby's that we're used to from Marshall Fields - they just aren't the same. Last year they had a beef on noodles (sort of like a boeuf burgonione without the necessary wine) that was good. The short ribs were good and the salmon is a "ladies who lunch" dish.

By the way, msmejekal, when you make your time reservations (day of only) they give you a pager that gives you 15 minutes warning and works anywhere in the store so you can feel free to wander around.

visitmacyschicago.com/pdfs/2011_Walnut_Room_…

Edited: 11:59 am, November 03, 2012
chicago
Level Contributor
8,314 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walnut room

Any other suggestions? Took them to la scarola last year, they are not into anything fancy, one eats anything the other is a bit picky

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,429 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: walnut room

This might sound a little low-brow but my Bro-in-law is in charge of the Chinese foreign exchange program at U.Colorado and he says that new students go nuts for our food courts. How about Foodlife? They also like Thanksgiving at his home and over-the-top Christmas decor. Macy' on State street at Christmas might knock them out. The whole 8 floor Water Tower Mall and the 900 Mall might be worth a gander. Something fancier? How about American bar-b-que? q on Dearborn south if Division would be my suggestion.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,314 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: walnut room

The rules say you can request a later seating than the first available so I'm assuming I can go at lunch and request 5pm

They are in their 50s and never spend money on anything except their sons college tuition so I like to take them somewhere special but I have a nearly impossible time picking something lol

They would love a traditional thanksgiving at my house but we don't do it

Edited: 5:58 pm, November 03, 2012
7. Re: walnut room

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 10, 2013