We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Musicals daytime?

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
87 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
Musicals daytime?

I am planning to go to musical in the day, when my husband is in the conference. I know they have something on Sundays but do they have daytime shows on any other days?

I also heard that there are low price tickets eg. with limited view – any idea what does this mean, how limited is the view? If the price is USD 45 vs. 110 I might consider the lower price tickets but I still want to enjoy the show.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Musicals daytime?

Most theatres have matinees on two afternoons per week. Either Saturday/Sunday or Wednesday/Sunday. If you will be attending around the Christmas or New Year's holidays, some theatres may have extra matinees instead of evening performances.

Limited view means that you won't be able to see the entire stage. Exactly what you will not see can depend on exactly what seat and what performance you attend. Most of the limited view seats are around the edges of the theatre. Seats on the right side of the audience won't be able to see the far right side of the stage and seats on the left of the audience will not see the left stage.

If the performance has action that occurs off the floor, like on a platform or suspended above the stage, the seats in the back may not see it because it will be blocked by the balcony.

Because the limits to the view can differ from one seat to the next, you should ask before you purchase these tickets and be sure you understand exactly what you will miss in the performance.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
936 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Musicals daytime?

I always get the limited view seats and have never been dissapointed. It usually means you miss one little corner of the stage, to me, if it saves $50 I can miss the edge. Also I think having a partial view seat closer to the stage is much more enjoyable than having a full view in a balcony.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,889 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Musicals daytime?

http://www.chicagoplays.com/ - for current theater information.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Musicals daytime?

I have sat in limited view seats and been quite disappointed (Bank of America theatre). A lot can depend on how the production is staged.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,116 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Musicals daytime?

Agreed pgo. The "limited view" seats in the Bank America/Shubert are terrible, especially in the improperly named "dress circle". The Oriental, Palace and Chicago were built as Movie Palaces so have better sightlines. Limited view in those theatres usually refers to not seeing the top third of the proscenium where some suspended action may take place.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
87 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Musicals daytime?

Thank you for your quick replies. I will fly in Chicago on Friday:D and I´m so excited! I will have opportunity to see the musical either Sunday or Wednesday afternoons and since we have ready planned dinners I have to be ready by 6.30.

I am interested in Kinky Boots (Sunday and Wednesday at 2 in Bank of America Theatre) or the Million Dollar Quartet (Wednesday at 2 in Apollo) or maybe Dreamgirls in Marriott Theatre. Which would you recommend? I will be staying in Marriott Downtown, are those theatres near by?

By the way I can see some limited view tickets for Kinky Boots (Sunday) in all sections and the prices are eg. orchestra USD 97 vs. 41. Would these be better seats than full price in mezzanine or balcony?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,889 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Musicals daytime?

Marriott Theater is in Lincolnshire. It's a suburb about 45 minutes from Chicago.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
7,428 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Musicals daytime?

You can normally get discounted tickets for "The Million Dollar Quartet" at Hottix (which sells day-of or even a couple of days ahead-of performance), even for matinee performances.

Inasfar as Kinky Boots, there have been a number of discounts, from Groupon to Hottix. Looking at the Hottix website today, the Wednesday (today's) discounted tickets are NOT for limited view, but (some of) the weekend ones are.

In addition, I believe there are "rush" tickets available for every "Kinky Boots" show up through the close. Keep in mind that there are only a very limited number of those and you have to be one of the first at the box office that day (not sure if that would fit in with the other things on your agenda).

Edited: 3:55 pm, October 31, 2012
Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
7,428 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Musicals daytime?

Just to clarify my comments above on the "Kinky Boots" and Hottix:

I believe "Kinky Boots" closes on November 4th. So today is the last Wednesday matinee. But there are both Saturday and Sunday matinee tickets available, if their website is up-to-date.

I was merely mentioning today's tickets for it to illustrate that not all of the tickets on Hottix will always have limited views.

Edited: 4:07 pm, October 31, 2012
pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Musicals daytime?

Don't get limited view at the Bank of America theatre - there are posts that you'll be sitting behind. The mezzanine and balcony seats are fine.

Million Dollar Quartet isplaying at the Apollo Theatre in the Lakeview/Lincoln Park neighborhood, close to the El train stop at Fullerton and Sheffield. This is a small theatre with almost no bad seats. Look for discounted tickets to Quartet - it has been playing for years. www.hottix.org may have some.