We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how many days?

tx
Level Contributor
190 posts
1 review
Save Topic
how many days?

Hi there, just planning a spur of the moment trip to Chicago....my g/f is from AU and i would love to show her Chicago before we head to las vegas.

How many days is good to get a good feel for Chicago? We would like to see all the main attractions and some of the museums..the touristy stuff etc.

Also, any recommendations on what area we should stay in? I am not at all familiar with Chicago. I do have tons of starwood points so a W, Westin, or Sheraton could work.

thanks for all the help!!

Bobby's Bike Hike Chicago
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Bike Tours, Walking Tours
Absolutely Chicago Segway Tours
Segway Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Big Bus Chicago
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Bus Tours
Hudson
Level Contributor
445 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: how many days?

Review the web site chicagonow.com.

River North hotel location would work.

As many days as you can stay... lots to see and do...

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51,249 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how many days?

Mag Mile or River North is best from a visitor's perspective. Several Starwood options to choose from.

Choosechicago.com for ideas of what to see/do here.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,262 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how many days?

To get a taste of Chicago, you need three full days at least, up to a week. A lot depends on your range of interests. Check out choosechicago.com beforehand, and stop by the cultural center once you are in town.

The Westin River North is a very nice hotel on the river; the Sheraton Chicago is also close to the river, east of Michigan Avenue. This puts you closer to the Loop and museum campus. The Westin on Michigan and the Four Points are farther north in the popular Mag Mile shopping area. The two W's are in refurbished structures in less popular locations.

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,231 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how many days?

I would stay at either Westin before I would stay at the Sheraton or W's. All the properties are nice, but the Westin's are located in better locations--generally speaking. Depending on what you like to do would depend on how long you stay. You can devote a day to each of our grand museums, and there are several--but you could also devote a morning or afternoon to them as wel. l Do you enjoy theatre? Broadway shows or more off Broadway type shows? Do you like shopping? Big stores or small boutiques? Do you want to explore some of our cute, quaint/trendy neighborhoods or stick to downtown?

tx
Level Contributor
190 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: how many days?

would love to do some shows, both on and off

shopping (not necessary unless we have free time)

would love to do museums (not all day but def atleast get a grasp of the main ones, and explore both downtown and the neighborhoods.

thanks for the help guys!!

just trying to maximize our trip between chicago and las vegas (bryce canyon, zion, north rim)

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51,249 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how many days?

http://www.chicagoplays.com/ - for theater information.

tx
Level Contributor
190 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: how many days?

would 4 nights be ok?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,690 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how many days?

Minimum.

tx
Level Contributor
190 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: how many days?

ok, just arrived. made it to the westin chicago river north, had time to walk down magnificant mile and bought a few things. Now in the hotel getting ready for hopefully a great day!!

thinking of getting the city pass.

any points of doing both the skydeck and john hancock?

also segway & boat tours architecturey, any one company better than the other?

thanks guys!

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,484 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how many days?

you lucked out on the weather on tues, and the 1st part of wed... later on wed, the weather is supposed to turn south (and not like it is in TX), so plan accordingly....