We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info/Advice about Visiting Chicago from a Native Chicagoan

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Topic
Info/Advice about Visiting Chicago from a Native Chicagoan

Although I may be slightly biased (having been born and raised in Chicago), I truly believe Chicago is the greatest city in the world. Where else can you find 26 miles of stunning, public beaches on a gorgeous lake, world-class museums and restaurants, fascinating history, and awe-inspiring architecture? Not to mention the friendliest locals you'll ever encounter in a major city.

As someone who has travelled extensively myself, I know how confusing/time-consuming it can be to consolidate all the info out there prior to travelling, so I thought it might be helpful to share some thoughts/advice from a native Chicagoan. All these tidbits are purely opinion-based, but I've written what I would want to know if I were visiting here from out of town.

1. If I could only advise you on one must-do activity while you are here, it is hands-down the boat tour run by the Chicago Architectural Foundation. While there are many other boat tours in town that are decent (I've done Wendella, Sea Dog, etc.), none even compare to this. Unlike the others who often hire unenthusiastic young people to memorize scripts, CAF's tour is guided by experts in their field who are extremely knowledgable and you will get the best tour of Chicago you could possibly ask for. Recommended for all ages. Im 29 and my husband and I love it, and it is such an enjoyable experience, my parents continue to go at least once a year. Definite must.

http://www.architecture.org/page.aspx?pid=574

2. Restaurants:

For some "classic" Chicago fare, head to Portillo's on Ontario St. or The Berghoff (est. in 1890s!) on Adams St. for lunch, or Uno's/Due's for dinner. Uno's and it's twin-sister Due get jam-packed with heavy wait times, so take that into account, especially if you're going on a Fri or Sat. If you want a great view of the city with a hip and upscale (but not snooty) vibe, go to Fulton's On The River for lunch or dinner. They have fantastic outdoor seating. The best restaurant view of the skyline is at the Signature Room on the 95th floor of the Hancock building. Absolutely stunning. Insider's tip: Signature Room is a tad pricy, so one thrifty way to still get the great view/experience is to head one floor up from the Signature Room, to the Signature Lounge, where there is a bar and you can grab a cocktail and take in the skyline. The drinks are still pricy, but it is worth it for the view, and it still beats a full dinner tab! Of course the list of incredible restaurants goes on, and there are many more that are worth visiting, but those are a few I'd recommend.

3. Views:

Best ground-zero view of the city/skyline is outside the Adler Planetarium. You will get your greatest photo ops here (and it's free!), so don't forget your camera.

4. Museums:

They are phenomenal, and you really can't go wrong with any of them. My personal favorites are the Art Institute and Science and Industry, but Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum (natural history) and Planetarium are also top-notch. Best museum for kids is definitely Science and Industry....they have tons of exciting exhibits for children, including real baby chicks that you watch in various states of hatching, a simulated coal mine that you actually go underground in a train car to experience, and perhaps the world's largest, most elaborate (and most expensive) doll house that you have to see to believe.

5. Beaches:

Despite what you may have heard, Lake Michigan is 100% safe to swim, and I've grown up doing so! North Ave. Beach has a party atmosphere during the day on weekends (and even has a rooftop bar on the beach house, so if that's what you're looking for, you'll have a blast. Montrose and Foster Beaches are more family-friendly, although it's worth mentioning that all of the Chicago beaches have been inviting more unsavory characters in the last couple years. I've never had a problem, but I wouldn't leave anything valuable unattended.

6. Transportation.

It is most convenient and advisable to get a hotel in the Loop, Gold Coast, Mag Mile, or River North neighborhood, as this is probably where you'll spend most or all of your time. During the day, you can walk everywhere you will want to go, or hop on a bus or "el" train. Make sure you actually check the address of a hotel before booking it, because a lot of hotels claim to be "close to downtown," when in fact, they are not. Don't book a hotel near O'Hare if you plan on spending multiple days sightseeing without a car rental. A cab from O'Hare to downtown is too pricy to be doing every day, and the "el" train ride on the blue line, while doable, takes forever to get downtown from O'Hare, and vice-versa. Also note that parking garage fees in the city are expensive...expect to pay somewhere around $25 for the day/evening. If you are lucky enough to find a spot on the street, it will be relatively cheaper, but you still have to pay and the spot will be time-limited. Look for a nearby pay stand, use your credit card, and a receipt will print out that you put on your dashboard. Make sure you check the time it expires..the meter maids are on their game and you will get ticketed if you go past your time! In terms of riding busses and the el, you can buy a CTA (Chicago Transportation Authority) card in any el station, and this will work on the busses and el. Also look into purchasing a one, three, or seven-day CTA unlimited pass at: transitchicago.com/travel_information/fares/…

Cabs are plentiful in the downtown areas, so this is always a good option, as well.

7. ****SAFETY*****

(Disclaimer: this section is not meant to deter anyone from visiting, it is meant to be helpful. For those who stay in safe neighborhoods, are aware of their surroundings, and follow basic safety precautions, Chicago is an incredibly safe city!)

-The River North, Gold Coast, Mag Mile, and Downtown/Loop neighborhoods are very safe overall. Note that the loop gets somewhat deserted in the evening. Other safe neighborhoods to visit are Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville, Southport, Roscoe Village, Old Town, and Wicker Park. Wicker Park/Bucktown is an eclectic, trendy area with great restaurants and bars, but it is on the fringe of some not-so-great areas (like Humboldt Park and Logan Square), so while it's relatively safe, there are still some rough patches. You can walk and take public transportation around all these areas during the day. At night, it's best to take a cab everywhere, or if you absolutely must walk, walk in a group. Regardless of what neighborhood you're in, I'd honestly avoid busses and the el train completely at night.

-Neighborhoods to AVOID:

The entire South and West Sides of Chicago. Nuff said. Don't go west of Damen or south of Soldier Field (where the Chicago Bears play). Some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the entire country are on Chicago's South and West sides, and include Englewood, Garfield Park, Austin, Bronzeville, and many more.

As in any major city, we have our fair share of panhandlers and occasional hecklers. If anyone approaches you and tries to ask you for money, sell something to you, or simply makes you uncomfortable, do not engage them in conversation! Ignore them, don't apologize, and continue walking confidently, and they will typically leave you alone. Recently, there have been multiple strong-arm robberies of people's iPhones in the city, especially on the el. DO NOT HAVE YOUR iPHONE OUT IN PUBLIC HERE! Don't open your purse or wallet in public, and don't leave your purse or phone out on outdoor tables within easy reach of passersby. Just be smart, and you will be fine.

8. Entertainment/Night Life

The Second City improv club always makes for a fun night, and it's where some of the comedic legends-- John Belushi, Mike Meyers, Tina Fey got their start. If you're into the theater, check out Broadway in Chicago (Jersey Boys is a phenomenal show). Chicago Symphony Orchestra is fabulous, and sometimes they even do free shows in Millennium Park. If you're looking for a super-trendy bar with great views of the city (and sometimes even a celeb sighting), head ROOF, on the roof of the Wit Hotel. Cubs games are extremely memorable, and the bars around Wrigley Field get pretty raucous before, during, and after game time.

9. Neighborhoods Overview

~River North: Trendy restaurants patronized by young professionals.

~Gold Coast/Mag Mile: Posh/very upscale stores, restaurants, and hotels. Frequented by a mix of ages but tend to be 30+ and more mature. Area along Michigan Avenue is expensive but also must-see Chicago. Chicago landmarks include the Water Tower, Wrigley Building; beautiful views along the river.

~Loop: Willis Tower (still Sears Tower to me!), Daley Plaza, Grant Park, Millennium Park/the Bean within walking distance. Mostly tourists and white-collar professionals.

~Old Town: Good restaurants and bars. More upscale, trendy atmosphere. Young professionals, ages 25+

~Lincoln Park: Very yuppy neighborhood, affluent. Good restaurants and bars. Younger neighborhood but still more mature than Wrigley. Lincoln Park Zoo is here (and it's free admission).

~Wrigleyville: Overall, the atmosphere here is young, post-college, frat-party. Sports bars everywhere. Lots of fun around Cubs games, late-night turns into amateur hour.

~East Lakeview: includes vibrant Boystown and the Belmont Red Line area can get a bit sketchy. Some good restaurants.

~West Lakeview/Roscoe Village: has lots of families pushing baby strollers and young professionals. Not a ton going on here for tourists, but a nice, quiet area overall.

Again, this is all purely my opinion, but hope it helps! Hope you enjoy your time in the Windy City!

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
6,756 posts
Save Reply
51. Re: Info/Advice about Visiting Chicago from a Native Chicagoan

My paternal grandparents were originally from the southside of Chicago; I worked in the downtown even longer than I lived there; and lived on the northside 20+ years. And now I visit frequently thoroughout the year. So I've known Chicago my entire life, both from the perspective as a frequent visitor and a native.

While I agree that there is some good information in the original post and believe that the OP was just giving their honest opinions, IMHO, there is some incorrect and misleading information there, as well. For example, Item #2 on Restaurants - in which the OP mentions two chain restaurants, incorrect information on another and, with all due respect, misses the fact that Chicago cuisine has evolved substantially over the years.

I won't even go into the safety issues except to say that if a person wants to know the real story, just check one of the websites which gives the information from the Chicago Police Department, including any community alerts.

My recommendations are these: If you want a really great experience, do the proper research. That means reading a number of threads, reviews, trip reports from several sources - and note who is actually asking those questions. Recs for a family would be different than those for an adult solo traveler.

If you are given specific recommendations, do your research into them as well. It certainly doesn't hurt to get a second opinion, does it?

If you have specific questions, please start a thread. But please don't start a thread if the subject has been addressed repeatedly or recently.

And I would like to most emphatically add: During my travels, the most enjoyable, memorable aspects of my visits have been those AWAY from the major tourist sites.

Devon,UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Info/Advice about Visiting Chicago from a Native Chicagoan

being a Brit about to visit your city in May 2013 (prior to driving route 66), I found your post very helpful. Having been born in London, I just keep all my wits about me in any city and I hope to enjoy Chicago. the boat ride sounds great and we'd love to catch a game at Wrigley Field.

nj
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Reply
53. Re: Info/Advice about Visiting Chicago from a Native Chicagoan

I just want to thank you for the in depth review you gave of Chicago. It is most helpful...We are planning a week long trip to Chicago area on July 4th....We are staying 2 nites in Lombard for a wedding (the reason for the trip) then will need to wing the rest. My husband is a history buff so we probably will make a trip to see Lincoln's birthplace and any other major historic sites in and around Chicago....I know Springfield is a hike but he feels we have to do this. The boat trip you talked about sounds wonderful but I have to convince him it is not too touristy...Can you tell me what is the Pedway about and do we need some type of advance tickets?? We are just in the planning stage so I really don't know what we are doing the the 5 remaining days (after the wedding) so any further suggestions would be great but I think you hit most of them...Are beaches swimable in early July?? Lastly the only real problem we are having seems to be renting a car at MDW as it is pretty expensive....I don't know if there prices are hiked because of July 4th (the day we are arriving) but if by chance you know of any deals on a car rental that would be wonderful...

Thanks again for all of your wonderful advise and time you put in!! Excited about our upcoming trip to Chicago

Edited: 9:17 pm, June 06, 2013
Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,643 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Info/Advice about Visiting Chicago from a Native Chicagoan

Lincoln was born in Kentucky.

nj
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Reply
55. Re: Info/Advice about Visiting Chicago from a Native Chicagoan

duh....yes born in Kentucky but lived in Springfield Il

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Info/Advice about Visiting Chicago from a Native Chicagoan

You can take a train to Springfield from Chi.

KCK
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Info/Advice about Visiting Chicago from a Native Chicagoan

Going to post something here, so the original doesn't get lost. I thought for someone like me, just planning a short visit and wanting to "classic" Chicago experience it was really informative. Not too worried about "sketchy", I am from KC, I know sketchy when I see it.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,154 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Info/Advice about Visiting Chicago from a Native Chicagoan

This guide is easily available under "Visitors Guides" in the Top Questions section.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
14,955 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Info/Advice about Visiting Chicago from a Native Chicagoan

Why is this being resurrected again? I thought we put a stake through the heart of this post last year.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Info/Advice about Visiting Chicago from a Native Chicagoan

laveritechicago THANK YOU! I have printed this out!!