We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SpotHero discounted parking - it worked well

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
SpotHero discounted parking - it worked well

I was recommended to SpotHero.com by a friend (who had used it). I had a hotel in the Magnificent Mile zone that wanted to charge $52 per night for parking. I went to SpotHero and put in the hotel address and was notified of several parking locations for the night I would be there of $10 and up. The cheaper one was a small surface lot. I chose a garage on Grand Avenue (one block from my hotel) for $18.50. They charged my credit card in advance. The SpotHero printout gave excellent instructions to the parking complete with photo of the place and detailed instructions of how to find it and what to do when I get there. You can also show them a picture of the confirmation email on your cell phone if you want - it has a QR code that the garage can scan (I think). When I went to check out first I brought (walked) the SpotHero confirmation paper to the office but they said that I should drive there because once they validate my parking ticket, it's only valid for 5 minutes. So we drove to the exit, handed the paper in, she validated our ticket, I shoved it into the machine, the arm lifted and we were on our way. We saved over $30 using SpotHero.

So in case anyone else is wondering (since I see SpotHero is starting to advertise now) I can say that in this (my first) case, I was happy. My friend was also happy also. He called them to ask something and found the people very helpful. You can call or chat electronically with them if you want. I would use them again and would recommend SpotHero to others.

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: SpotHero discounted parking - it worked well

Sopthero worked great in Washington. Everything was as promisde, I saved $55 compared to my hotel published parking rates. A GREAT SERVICE:)

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: SpotHero discounted parking - it worked well

Thank you all for such great information. I just made a reservation for two days parking for $52 through SpotHero. about a block or two from my hotel. MDW would have been cheaper, but the convenience and time saver is worth the extra money. And the $52 is nearly half what I would have paid driving up to a garage.

TA Forum is awesome.

michigan
Level Contributor
221 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: SpotHero discounted parking - it worked well

I have a question for people who have used this service. Does the price change according to how close the inquiry is to the date requested? I thought I looked a couple weeks ago and found parking for about $18 near the Hotel Monaco...but now the rates are about $25 (outdoor) and $41 for indoor/24 hour.

I might have made a mistake last time. Is it more expensive the closer the parking date/time?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,482 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: SpotHero discounted parking - it worked well

Supply + demand.

michigan
Level Contributor
221 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: SpotHero discounted parking - it worked well

Okay, so the answer is yes, it does change according to expected supply and demand? One would then venture that the price would be cheaper the earlier you buy/commit.

Edited: 9:50 am, September 03, 2014
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,482 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: SpotHero discounted parking - it worked well

That's correct. You can cancel up to 24 hrs before your reservation without penalty.

Gurnee, Illinois
Level Contributor
708 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: SpotHero discounted parking - it worked well

I think SpotHero will let you cancel up until the start time of the reservation. It's confusing; their FAQ says "24 hours in advance" but also says "Before the reservation begins."

But I think supply/demand can work both ways, like Hotwire or StubHub. If a garage has a more empty spaces than they anticipated the price could come down. In my experience they don't change much.

Elmwood Park...
1 post
Save Reply
28. Re: SpotHero discounted parking - it worked well

I would never use SpotHero again. I had to pay a second time to get my car out of the lot because there was no attendant on duty to provide us with the code #.

Romeoville, Illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: SpotHero discounted parking - it worked well

I have used SpotHero multiple times when parking downtown Chicago. I have never had a bad experience, and in fact, they go out of their way to make sure you are totally happy., I would heartily recommend this to anyone. The prices are so much lower than regular parking prices. Just today, I would have paid $123.00, my cost through SpotHero $78.00

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
227 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: SpotHero discounted parking - it worked well

First time user of SpotHero; and it worked smoothly.

Our hotel in Chicago was the Raffaello which is practically next door to the Hancock Tower.

In checking various sites in Chicago that utilize SpotHero, found one right at the Hancock Tower Parking facility.

Great location, convenient and significant savings.

Note that a) park it and forget it. This is not for parking and then driving around and parking back again. b) set realistic time parameters to maximize savings; i,e, checking in 1 p.m. 4 April and Checking out 9 a.m. 6 April.

Any questions, concerns or need for clarification once at the parking lot were politely and professionally answered by staff working at the facility.