We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ambassador East Questions

Kearney, Nebraska
Level Contributor
63 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Ambassador East Questions

We will be staying at the Ambassador East at the end of March (got a good deal through priceline).We are trying to budget our money and I have a couple of questions related to the hotel and area we are staying in:

1. Is it really within walking distance to Water Tower Place? How far?

2. Does the Ambassador have any kind of continnental breakfast (ie free)?

3. Could you recommend some close restaurants that are not really expensive? Also any place where we could stock up on breakfast foods to take to our room? Grocery store, bakery, or something like that.

4. We have two adults and a 2 year old in our group, so I was wondering if you think it would be possible to request and get a double bed no smoking room? I know many hotels won't honor requests through priceline. Should I call my request in ahead of time?

5. (This is a little off subject.) Do the free trollys run at the end of March during week days?

6. Any other advice or info would be great.

Level Contributor
790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ambassador East Questions

I stayed there (through priceline) when it was an Omni hotel.

1) Yes, definitely, for us anyway. You can look it up no a map like maps.google.com It's maybe 3/4 mile at the most.

2) Not when we were there, but it's under new ownership. Best to call them directly and ask.

3) There's a Treasure Island grocery in Old Town (a bit west of the hotel), and I think there's a Whole Foods nearby. Others can probably help you find other options.

4) It never hurts to ask, but they're not obligated to comply, as you know. I'd definitely call ASAP to have your preferences noted on the reservation, then try to check in as early as possible, and make sure they note the request at that time as well. I will say that we stayed in a smoking room while there, and the only evidence was the ashtrays - the room did not have any lingering odor, and I'm quite sensitive to it.

5) I thought they only ran on weekends at that time, but don't know for sure. I've had trouble finding up to date online info on the trolleys in general.

The hotel is in a great, residential neighborhood, close to a lot. You're only a few blocks from the south end of Lincoln Park, so you can let the toddler blow off some steam there if it's warm enough. You're close to Old Town (restaurants and shops, though some may be higher priced than you want), and close to all the restaurants around State and Rush.

Chicago...
Level Contributor
831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ambassador East Questions

It is within walking distance to Water Tower Place (about 15 minutes) but I have no idea why you would want to go to Water Tower Place, except to go to Food Life. It has turned into a teen hangout with a lot of chains that you get back home. I don't see the point. Chicago has a lot of great shopping, but I don't put Water Tower Place in that category. It may be interesting to walk in for a minute, but other than that, there are much better places to spend the day.

With regard to grocery shopping: There is a Jewel at Clark and Division which is a full service grocery store. That is a pretty easy walk from the hotel.

Another idea: You can actually walk from your hotel to Lincoln Park Zoo. It may take a half hour, but it is a great walk.

Chicago, IL, USA
Level Contributor
40 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ambassador East Questions

Some restaurant recommendations if you are trying to keep to a budget:

Breakfast/Lunch: Corner Bakery about two blocks south of the hotel. Third Coast on Dearborn--food all day. DeAngelos for sandwiches. Edwardos (1200ish N. Dearborn) for natural pizza--its more thin crust than traditional deep dish but still quite good. Mike's Fast Food & Bar. Good food, not much atmosphere though!

Dinner: Papa Milano (on State, a few blocks south of the hotel). Mario's on Goethe.

You also can be pretty economical at Foodlife in Water Tower Place. Unfortunately, you are staying in a pricy part of town. I would also utilize the concierge at the hotel. They are great at finding hidden food gems and giving great directions to grocery stores, attractions, etc.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ambassador East Questions

Best nearby breakfast option is The Original Pancake House on Bellevue Street, just a door or 2 east of State Street.