We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cab Fare from O'Hare to Downtown

Miami Beach, FL
Level Contributor
437 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cab Fare from O'Hare to Downtown

Trying to decide on cab or train from O'Hare to downtown hotel (Courtyard Marriott Downtown, 30 East Hubbard).

How much would a taxi cost? Is there a flat fee? Is it more depending on number of passengers/luggage?

Thanks.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cab Fare from O'Hare to Downtown

Taxi's in Chicago have meters and the charge is by distance. For one person traveling from O'Hare Airport to your destination expect to pay something like $30/35. There's no additional charge for luggage. There's a $1 charge for each additional person in the taxi, if I'm recalling correctly.

There's a ride-share provision for the neighborhood you'll be traveling to, but I don't know if everyone must be going to the same destination, or just to the same neighborhood. Other readers of your question who live in that area will likely have something to add about that.

Instead of taking the taxi you can take a Airport Express van, and I think the cost of that is approx. $15. It's not really that much longer a trip in the van than in a taxi.

And, of course, you can take the "Blue Line" CTA train from the airport. Depending upon the time of day you'll be arriving, you can either get off the train at Chicago Ave. or further downtown, and then take a connecting bus or taxi from one of those two points. Travel time on the Blue Line is approx. 45 minutes and the cost, with a transfer about $2.

Taking a taxi is the fastest, and most expensive. Taking the blue Line is the longest trip and the least expensive.

Level Contributor
790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cab Fare from O'Hare to Downtown

Although . . . If there is bad traffic, a taxi or shuttle will get held up. The el trip is a pretty consistent time no matter what, so it could be faster if you're traveling during rush hour or other period of very heavy auto traffic.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cab Fare from O'Hare to Downtown

If you won't have a lot of luggage, I'd go with the train. If you'll be at the Courtyard on Hubbard, take the Blue Line to Washington and walk through the tunnel to the Red Line. Take the Red Line toward Howard and get off at Grand Ave (2 stops). When you get to the top of the stairs, you'll be a block from your hotel. The transfer between trains is free.

The other option would be to get off the Blue Line at Grand and transfer to the Grand Avenue bus (Number 65) and take that to State Street.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,269 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cab Fare from O'Hare to Downtown

For rates with Airport Express: http://www.airportexpress.com/

Miami Beach, FL
Level Contributor
437 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cab Fare from O'Hare to Downtown

Here's the deal: we're 8 girls w/ about as much luggage as 8 girls can pack for a long weekend in Chicago (get my drift?). That's why I'm little hesitant about the trains.

Is leaving O'Hare at 8:30ish is still rush hour? Traffic usually calms down in Miami by then, but not sure about downtown Chicago.

Guess I should've mentioned our arrival time before... oops!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,269 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cab Fare from O'Hare to Downtown

8:30 is after rush hour. In my opinion, for 8 people plus luggage, you're better off with van service from Airport Express. It's $130 plus gratuity door-to-door to your hotel.

You'd probably need two or three taxis. Plus you're at the mercy of the meter. They have mini-van taxis. But it's hit and miss on availability.

You could also take a limousine. It'll probably be more expensive than Airport Express.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cab Fare from O'Hare to Downtown

A limo sounds like a good idea. I haven't used a limo from the airport, but there are lots. Below is a web address for one company I found on the web (never used it, can't vouch for it) from which you can request a price quote. You might also want to contact Airport Express directly to see if they'll provide a van for the group. I believe they have a sliding scale of discounts for groups such as yours.

http://www.allamericanlimo.com/

Miami Beach, FL
Level Contributor
437 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Cab Fare from O'Hare to Downtown

I think we're leaning towards the van, but the limo is also a great idea I hadn't thought about. I'll do some research on that and see what I can find out.

Thanks so much... you guys are great!