We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

University of Chicago -- Taxis at night

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
University of Chicago -- Taxis at night

Hello, I will be traveling with 3 other moms to a basketball game at Univ of Chicago on a Saturday night in November.

Will taxis be nearby & easy to find late at night? Is public transportation close?

We have heard this is a "bad area" so we're a little concerned with transportation. The game doesn't even start until 8 p.m. so it will be late when we are leaving.

We are staying at Palmer House Hilton.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,021 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: University of Chicago -- Taxis at night

There should be campus security people at the game. I'm sure they can call a cab for you when you're ready to leave. Ask when you get there.

Go Maroons!

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: University of Chicago -- Taxis at night

Where does the U of C play?

About safety and security - I don't think that's a concern. Finding a taxi to get back to Downtown, however, will be a challenge.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,021 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: University of Chicago -- Taxis at night

They play basketball at:

The Gerald Ratner Athletics Center

5530 South Ellis Avenue

Again, I'm sure Campus Security will be able to get a cab for you after the game.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: University of Chicago -- Taxis at night

Thanks to both for the info.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,021 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: University of Chicago -- Taxis at night

I forgot to include the public transit option. Metra provides train service to and from Hyde Park. Here's the link:

metrarail.com/Sched/me/me.shtml#STATION

The closest station is the one at 59th & Harper. However, it's about a mile walk from the U of C to the station.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: University of Chicago -- Taxis at night

I think the campus area is relatively safe. And, as already pointed out - university police are typically present in sufficient numbers to provide a sense of comfort. For 8 months this year I made several-times-weekly trips to U of C Hospital on west edge of the campus - parked on the "Midway" - and never once felt insecure. But, I'm from Chicago and have spent time in the U of C area before, and with the familiarity comes a sense (sometimes "false") of security.