We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have a car where to stay

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
3 reviews
Have a car where to stay

We will be driving and are wondering where to stay? In the core area (are there hotels with parking and are they really high?) or in the northern area or other?

Should we be looking to book an appt through vrbo or should we stay in a hotel?

Chi Town
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
80 reviews
1. Re: Have a car where to stay

More info would be needed, what vibe do u like. I stay at the W 5-6 times a year becuase I luv it , but it has a bit of a Vegasy vibe.

Chicago
Level Contributor
679 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Have a car where to stay

Keep in mind even your hotel will charge you $40 to $50 per day/night to park. There really arent any cheaper lots that will allow you to pakr overnight. I woudl recommend not bringing a car, if you must it's probably expensive enough that its worth the hassle to park in the burbs and take a metra ride into the city.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
1 review
3. Re: Have a car where to stay

Best weekend value for parking is at Sterling Self-Park Garage (312-341-3463). It's in a high-rise apartment building at 123 West Kinzie Street. Entrance is on south side of Kinzie, between Clark and LaSalle. Weekend (Saturday and Sunday) parking is $8 (includes tax) per day.

If you go to Hotels.com, you can see search by address (123 W Kinzie St., Chicago, IL 60654) and it will show you hotels in close proximity to the Sterling. There are several hotels within 1 block of the parking garage, including Residence Inn, Springhill Suites, Amalfi, Courtyard by Marriott on Hubbard, and Hotel Sax. All are well located and convenient to public transportation.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
14,170 posts
109 reviews
4. Re: Have a car where to stay

Stay downtown and pay the hotel for parking of $45+ per day. If you stay outside the core area and drive downtown you will end up paying for parking anyway plus have the inconvenience of a distant hotel. Parking garages do not have in and out privileges so every time you go to a new garage you pay the high base fee plus hourly rate. It adds up fast. Park your car at your hotel and walk or take public transportation. How long are you staying? Do you really need an apartment? How about a suites hotels like the Four Flags Sheridan, Marriott Suites or Double Tree in the Michigan Ave. area.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
670 posts
5. Re: Have a car where to stay

Check www.travelzoo.com for Chicago hotel deals. Many are offering great prices right now, some including parking (or discounted parking). In addition to the Sterling Self Park, Millennium Garages under Millennium Park are considerably cheaper than most hotel garages.

And with that, I'll second the request for more info. What are the dates of your visit, who is coming (ages, number) and what will you be doing while you're in Chicago?

Madison/Chicago
Level Contributor
193 posts
1 review
6. Re: Have a car where to stay

The Best Western River north is the only hotel I know of that does not charge for parking.

Chicago
Level Contributor
679 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Have a car where to stay

Depends on what your looking to do while your here. If you plan on staying anywhere near the loop or north side plan on spending $40a day or more if you wnat to park your car overnight.

You really dont need your car to get around the city and its actually a hindrence as you'll pay $30 for the first half hour many places to park. I would recommend parking in the suburbs and taking a metra train downtown if you want to stay downtown.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
276 posts
22 reviews
8. Re: Have a car where to stay

what I did was stay in Oak Brook and took the Hinsdale train into downtown. It is cheaper in the burbs. I have family out there, so that is one reason that I stayed there.

My brother took the train everyday into downtown for work. The western burbs are very beautiful and affluent. the old downtowns are very cahrming and fun too.

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
361 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Have a car where to stay

My son lives in Chicago, we live in Livonia (suburb of Detroit)--hassle to park where he lives. We have taken the train several times to visit him. I would recommend checking the Amtrack train from Dearborn. Large lot to park your car in (free)--right behind the Dearborn Police station. Train takes you right into downtown Chicago. The train is actually lots of fun, relaxing, and comfortable. I would recommend if you take the train, pack a lunch. There is a dining car it is a little expensive, but the food is only so-so. The sandwhichs are "vending machine" style, pizzas are microwave. We enjoy the train, because you can get up walk around, take a dvd player (has place to plug in), or your headset. Seats are very comfortable. The other way you can go is via the Mega Bus (go to their website Megabus.com) they pick up in Ann ARbor and Detroit. Never did it, but have read favorable reviews, price is around $14 per person, one way---could be less depending on when you book it. I have heard you can even get seats as low as $1 (yes one dollar). Driving and parking in Chicago is a hassle.

Where my son is all street parking, people park by "braille" meaning try to pull in hit car behind you and than in front of you, hit them again, and now your car is in its spot.

10. Re: Have a car where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, January 24, 2010