We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fun night out for young couple

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Fun night out for young couple

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Chicago in August from Saturday-Tuesday. We're going to Lollapalooza on Sunday but have no set plans for the rest of the trip. We've both been to Chicago several times but more for sightseeing/family things. I previously posted about fun BYOB restaurants, but I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for the best bars/nightlife for a couple in their 20's. We're staying near the Hancock Tower but wouldn't mind going to Lincoln Park/Wrigleyville either. We both went to Michigan State so we love to go out and have fun, but prefer a little more low-key fun places as opposed to expensive dance/techno music clubs. Thanks!!

Chicago
Level Contributor
29 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fun night out for young couple

There are so many options, tell us more about what you like and what kind of budget you are working with...

Michigan
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fun night out for young couple

I'd say we have a pretty average price range, don't need anything super cheap (although we wouldn't mind!) but not looking to pay $8 for a bottle of beer like in NYC. We enjoy anything fun and lively with a young crowd, we usually like Irish-style pubs or where we're from there are a lot of sports bars that get a little more fun w/ good music/dancing at night. I'm not a huge fan of live music at bars because its usually too loud to hear anything else. The only bar that I've been to in Chi is the Tin Lizzy during St. Patty's weekend which seemed fun/something I'd be looking for at first but just got too crowded to move...

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fun night out for young couple

Here are some ideas:

Rockit Bar on West Hubbard Street (near Dearborn)

Bull & Bear on West Hubbard near Wells

Johnny O'Hagan's Irish Pub on North Clark @ Roscoe

Kerryman at Clark Street & Erie

Good rooftop lounges: Hotel Wit at State & Lake, Vertigo Lounge at the Dana Hotel (State & Erie), Zed 451 at Clark & Superior

John Barleycorn on Lincoln Avenue @ Belden (there are a lot of bars in this immediate area)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fun night out for young couple

Back to the BYOB restaurants topic...try Gio's Cafe & Deli in the Bridgeport neighborhood (Close to U.S. Cellular)www.gioscafe.com This is a nice neighborhood Italian restaurant/grocery store/deli with above average food, average prices, and most importantly BYOB!

If you want low key fun try the Gin Mill on Fullerton and Lincoln avenue, it's a Michigan State themed bar believe it or not! It's close to the DePaul University Lincoln Park campus.

You can always go back and visit the Willis Tower (Formerly Sears Tower). The just added a glass cut out that puts you outside of the building on the 103rd floor looking all the way down!

Hope this helps!

Chicago
Level Contributor
29 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fun night out for young couple

KKKKerry has great recomendations, I actually frequent all the places mentioned in his post and agree completely. If I am to add one I'd say Hub51 is another good spot. Definetly check out the Rooftop at Wit and Zed451 if the weather is nice while you are here.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fun night out for young couple

I totally agree on Zed, great place!!

Stevens Point...
Level Contributor
28 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fun night out for young couple

Howl at the Moon on Fulton near State is a lot of fun. Very talented young people playing dueling pianos and other instruments.

8. Re: Fun night out for young couple

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 12, 2010