We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Revolving Doors - Proper Etiquette?

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,290 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Revolving Doors - Proper Etiquette?

Wifey and I are vacationing in the big Second City- and having a great time! We've been encountering many revolving doors during our stay. We keep asking each other if we are using them correctly.

Puzzlements:

Is it ok to get into a quarter sized section of revolving door with a stranger? Or are you supposed to wait for the next open space?

What about a couple getting into one space? Is this what a gentleman does? Bring your date into your space or let her in first and you grab the next one.

What about speed? I see some people are pushing hard and you do not have to push, just coast on through. While other times it seems to come to a stop and you must push - but how hard is correct?

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Revolving Doors - Proper Etiquette?

I never get in with a stranger, but frequently grab my fiancee and get into a revolving door with her.

As for speed, depends on how much force it takes to push the door. Usually, it's fine to go at your own speed. If there's someone in the door behind you and you feel like they're pushing so fast it's about to knock you off your feet, that's way too fast. Reasonable speed is fine, so that you go through and people behind you don't start to feel like they're waiting around.

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Revolving Doors - Proper Etiquette?

Glad to hear you're enjoying your stay! Please check back with a full report on your trip.

Level Contributor
790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Revolving Doors - Proper Etiquette?

I agree with DVDMovie's assessment of etiquette. Also, consider the doors that revolve automatically - they are a bit different. If you push them, or get caught between the door and the door frame, they will stop automatically, and quite suddenly. A (rather inconsiderate, I think!) man pushed himself and his 5-ish son into one of those small compartments with me (I had no desire to be so close to anyone other than my husband!). His last-minute entry ended with him getting caught between the door and the fram, making it stop. I walked into it, squishing my toe, and it hurt! All to save the maybe 5 seconds it would have taken to just get in the next segment . . .

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,408 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Revolving Doors - Proper Etiquette?

I believe I was raised in another age, but here goes. The quarter-size sections of the revolving door are pretty small. It's also difficult for two people to walk comfortably in that confined space. So unless you want to know someone in the Biblical sense, wait for the next section. However, there are some places with electric revolving doors which are meant to have several people in each section.

I was taught that if one encounters a revolving door which is not already in motion, give it a push to start it, then allow the others to proceed and enter in the section behind. This is the equivelent of holding the door open.

Speed is a touchy issue. In busier places like train stations where many people are in a rush to catch a train, the pace seems to be pretty fast. In stores and elegant hotels, it seems to be pretty leisurely. I guess just go with the established flow.

And for my pet peeve, when you're waiting to enter the door, stand to the right. This allows the people in the door to exit without having to dodge between you and the door leaf that's about to whack them in the back of the head.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
169 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Revolving Doors - Proper Etiquette?

Do not get into a small compartment like that with a total stranger. They are NOT built to hold multiple bodies. There is NO need to force such close contact with another person, it's not like waiting for a slow running elevator, it's only seconds til the next opening is available.

I don't even wanna be in that tiny space with my boyfriend....it's not like the building is about to explode and seconds are critical. Kids are normally the ones I see cramming into the same space and they just do it for kicks.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
82 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Revolving Doors - Proper Etiquette?

Such an interesting and unusual topic of discussion.

One other thing to consider. Always let the lady go first and gentlement follow behind. And ladies, when using a revolving door, keep your purse on the inside and/or in front of you.

Several years ago, a friend made the error of going first. As his wife followed behind him, some thug grabbed her purse and held door shut w/ his foot until he broke the straps free. Since she was stuck in the door and her husband was already inside, there was nothing they could do.

Also, for some useless trivia that may or may not be true: I've been told that Chicago has more revolving doors than any other city in the world. I don't know if this is true, but fun to throw out when you want to look like a nerd!

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,290 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Revolving Doors - Proper Etiquette?

We now are chuckling as we enter each of the many revolving doors.

Wifey pointed out that Marshall Fields has an outer door that puts you into an "inner chamber" and then you are faced with the revolver...

I just hope she bought me something.

8. Re: Revolving Doors - Proper Etiquette?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:43 pm, August 26, 2005
Level Contributor
790 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Revolving Doors - Proper Etiquette?

crystalballer - You should leave the word sorry out of your response. It's completely untrue. If you were sorry you wouldn't have been such a jerk in the rest of your response.

Chicago
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Revolving Doors - Proper Etiquette?

you are correct. i actually am not sorry. it was just a figure of speech. very similiar to how people say the word "like" before every sentence.