We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best things to do in Chicago in Winter

Farmington, MI
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
best things to do in Chicago in Winter

Will be staying at the Embassy Suites Lakeview?? (I think that's what it's called) beginning February 16th through the 19th. Taking the train in from Michigan. Have two girls aged 15 and 12. Want ideas on what will be most fun for all of us (I know about the shopping). Also, which pizza place is better, Pizzeria Due or Gino's?

Mentioned in this post
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Chicago
Level Contributor
8,762 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best things to do in Chicago in Winter

How about visiting the exhibit "Couture Treasures" at the Historical Society in Lincoln Park. If your girls are into beautiful dresses. If you do this, you are just a few blocks away from historic Wells Street in Old Town. THere, you can have a nice steak/ribs dinner or lunch at the famous Fireplace Inn or try eating at Orso's, an old italian chicago institution. But the street is filled with all kinds of other restaurants including some nice boutiques (some whimsical places for the girls), candy shops, vintage poster shops, shoe stores, etc. Also, you can go ice skating at the Millenium Park ice rink. Head down to Hyde Park (Obama Country) and visit the very interactive Museum of Science & Industry. Don't let the girls miss Cinderella's fairy castle and tour a real navy submarine.

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln Park
Lincoln Park
737 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Wells
Wells
Maine
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
55,277 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best things to do in Chicago in Winter

Take a look at www.metromix.com and www.chicagoreader.com to see what's going on here during your visit. Both sites are also good for dining searches.

The previous response was referring to - www.chicagohs.org/

If you end up in Hyde Park, good pizza at: www.medici57.com

If you ask 10 people here about pizza, you'll get 10 different answers. You can't pick a bad place.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,941 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best things to do in Chicago in Winter

Regarding pizza: “You can't pick a bad place.”

Dave, I had to laugh when I read this. Shortly after we moved to the Chicago area, we had visitors from Ohio. We wanted to show them authentic Chicago style pizza. Being new to the area, we looked in the phone book and found “Pinaballi’s Pizza”. A great Italian name equals great pizza, right? We drove up and down the street looking for the place – all we saw was a bowling alley. We finally located Pinaballi’s inside the bowling alley. Pin a ball i – get it? It tasted like the frozen stuff you can buy at the grocery store. Somehow we managed to find bad pizza!

Mentioned in this post
The Chicago Diner
The Chicago Diner
185 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
43 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best things to do in Chicago in Winter

The Chicago History Museum (formerly called the Historical Society) is free on Mondays so take advantage of that if you can. I will agree that the exhibition of dresses is fantastic! You can preview at the museum's website. If you are still in the city on Thursday after 5 pm, the art museum on Michigan Ave. is free until 8 pm.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago History Museum
Chicago History Museum
987 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
8,759 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: best things to do in Chicago in Winter

lisaandtom, I'm going to mention a few things which might interest you:

If you go to the City of Chicago's website, you can click on the "Winter 2009: 100 Free Events" section, which shows the many options available to you. I'm only going to mention a couple below. But I urge you to check these out, because you can choose from ethnic events, tours, free exhibitions (including some of the Chicago Architecture Foundation), and so forth.

February 12-16th: The City of Chicago's "Snow Days" festival at the Spirit of Music Garden located on Michigan Avenue (between Harrison and Balbo) in Grant Park. Free events. Hours 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Feb. 12-15 and 11 a.m.-6 p.m. on Feb. 16. Events include snow sculpture, dog sled demonstrations, snowboard rail jams, and other activities. Go to the City of Chicago's website and you can see the details.

The Chicago Cultural Center, which is located directly across Michigan Avenue from the north end of Millennium Park: There are free concerts on Mondays through Wednesday - "Classical Mondays" (classical, chamber and opera); "Jazz, Blues and Beyond" on Tuesdays (jazz, blues, gospel, soul and other genres); and the "Dame Myra Hess Concert" series on Wednesdays (classical music by young and solo artists). In addition, the Chicago Cultural Center offers exhibits; dance and theatre performances; family programs; films; tours of the building (highlights include the Tiffany domes and mosaics); etc. NOTE to others: There are also the "Sunday Salon Series" and the "Music Without Borders" series on Fridays throughout the month of February. Check the Chicago Cultural Center's calendar for details.

Particularly, I wish to mention the "Exquisite City, City of Cardboard" which is on exhibit at the Chicago Tourism Center January 15 through March 15. 70+ artists contributed to this miniature metropolis inspired by Chicago. See: www.exquisitecity.com for details.

Speaking of miniatures, highly recommend a visit to view the Thorne Miniature Rooms at the Art Institute. The Alsdorf Galleries of Indian, Southeast Asian, Himalayan, and Islamic Art are now open. And since it is now the 100th anniversary (and this will be celebrated during many events this year), you might want to view Daniel Burnham's 1909 Plan of Chicago. 32 illustrations rarely on view because of their age/condition and which are historically significant. Although it might not be available to you because of your travel itinerary, I'll again mention the Target Free Thursday evenings (5-8 p.m.).

Are you looking for something to do in the evenings? On February 18th at 7:30 p.m. at the Harris Theatre in Millennium Park, the free (but you will need to reserve in advance) Roosevelt University’s Chicago College of Performing Arts Chamber and Symphony Orchestra concert, and on February 19, Hartke & Hilliard are performing.

1154 Lill Street is located at 904 W. Armitage in Lincoln Park. Perhaps Lisa and the girls would like to design their own handbags. (Sorry, Tom, you'll have to be left to your own devices, if they go - but perhaps you'd like to take in the Chicago Auto Show which is being held at McCormick Place Feb. 13-21, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.)

I hope that you all have fun when you are here!

Mentioned in this post
Chicago Architecture Center
Chicago Architecture...
2,453 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Spirit of Chicago
Spirit of Chicago
305 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Grant Park
Grant Park
820 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Chicago Cultural Center
Chicago Cultural Center
2,710 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Millennium Park
Millennium Park
21,449 Reviews
Chicago, IL
The Chicago Diner
The Chicago Diner
185 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Lincoln Park
Lincoln Park
737 Reviews
Chicago, IL
McCormick Place
McCormick Place
438 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Devon, United...
Level Contributor
379 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best things to do in Chicago in Winter

What a fantastic amount of info . We are also staying from 15th -21st of February so am going to print all of your tips.Thank you.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: best things to do in Chicago in Winter

I would suggest Field museum or the Thorne Miniature Rooms at the Art Museum. Try greatgirltrips.com for other venues.

Mentioned in this post
The Field Museum
The Field Museum
7,794 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Chicago
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best things to do in Chicago in Winter

One thing we like to do in the winter is visit the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum. It's in Lincoln Park just north of the Zoo - on the other side of Fullerton Ave/parkway. The draw for us here is their butterfly room - hundreds of live butterflies in the dead of winter. If you're lucky, one might land on your head/shoulder.

http://www.naturemuseum.org/index.php?id=240

And then after that, if the weather is nice, we walk over to the Lincoln Park conservatory. It's nice to look/wander through the lush greens/plants and water features. Also, we walk through that part of the zoo.

chicagoparkdistrict.com/index.cfm/fuseaction…

Mentioned in this post
The Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum
The Peggy Notebaert...
175 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Lincoln Park
Lincoln Park
737 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Lincoln Park Conservatory
Lincoln Park Conservatory
642 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Farmington, MI
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: best things to do in Chicago in Winter

Thank you all so much for the wonderful info, it is much appreciated!

10. Re: best things to do in Chicago in Winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, October 14, 2009