We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inexpensive hotel in downtown

Orlando, FL
2 posts
Save Topic
Inexpensive hotel in downtown

I am going to Chicago for the first time Sept. 17-21 with the hopes of relocating there next year. I have read several of the previous posts for what to do and must see's for a first time trip. I'm picking a few things to do; musuem, miracle mile, maybe the river tour and definately touring the downtown city area. I plan to arrange to have a Chicago Greeter show me around. My itenary also includes looking for an apartment or neighborhood close to downtown that would allow a large (yet friendly) dog.

I was hoping somebody could recommend an inexpensive hotel (or zone for hotel websites) downtown that is in a safe area and is close walking distance to mass transit stops. I don't need fancy frills or silk linens. Just a clean room and safe neighborhood.

Thank you!

Bobby's Bike Hike Chicago
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Bike Tours, Walking Tours
Absolutely Chicago Segway Tours
Segway Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Big Bus Chicago
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Bus Tours
Chicago
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Inexpensive hotel in downtown

The Red Roof Inn on St. Clair and Erie is traditionally lower fare than the other downtown hotels, plus it's one block East of Michigan Avenue. Although try the name your own price option on priceline.com. We had friends of ours end up with $69/night at Intercontinental (unheard of). But Red Roof Inn is a 5-10 minute walk from both the Chicago and Grand Red Line L stops downtown, and in the heart of it all. You may also want to look into the Holiday Inn Merchandise Mart, Holiday Inn Navy Pier, and Fairfield Inn for reasonable prices, too.

Have you contacted anyone about helping you find an apartment? If not, check out www.apartmentpeople.com. They help folks find the place for them, drive them around the neighborhoods, do everything they can to fit your needs. Also pick up a copy of The Reader while you're here, often times you can find great deals on apartments through them.

Hopefully this helps. If you need more info, let me know! I'll see what I can do to help you out.

Barbara

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inexpensive hotel in downtown

Priceline.com - bidding for a 3 star, botique or 4 star hotel in the River North/North Michigan Ave area should be able to net you a room for under $100 a night.

As for relocating, there are a lot of studio options in the Gold Coast for $650-850+ a month, and there are plenty of Lincoln Park studios for $600-850+ a month. If you give me more details about what you are looking for, then I could pull some listings from websites to give you a better idea and maybe some places in mind to look at when you arrive.

You can email me if you if have any questions at dvdmovie1@aol.com

Orlando, FL
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Inexpensive hotel in downtown

Chicagojayhawk & DVDmovie1 - thank you for the info!

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inexpensive hotel in downtown

Inexpensive hotels in Downtown Chicago are almost non-existent. I suggest you widen your search a bit, and stay a bit deeper into the city where rates drop dramatically but the properties are close to public transportation. Two motels I suggest are Heart-O-Chicago and Chicago Lodge Motel.

As far as apartment hunting goes, there are "apartment finder" services that can be of great help, and some of them charge no fee to the person looking to rent. I suggest using one of them. I believe one of them has the name of "Chicago Apartment Finders." You'll be in town looking for an apartment during one of the two busiest rental periods of the year - it'll be a madhouse scramble for apartments until October 1st. I suggest you consult both Craigslist.org and www.chicagoreader.com for listing/availability information before coming. There's no trick to looking up listings - it's no big secret.

Chicago
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Inexpensive hotel in downtown

I forgot to mention, there's a nice Best Western on Ohio St. which is in the River North Area. It's about a 10-15 minute walk from Michigan Ave (I live a few blocks away from there and take the hike every day). They have on-site parking too if you need it.

chicago
Level Contributor
559 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Inexpensive hotel in downtown

In case you end up staying at the Red Roof Inn, I'd like to offer a suggestion for a cheap breakfast/lunch option. It might sound slightly strange, but the cafeteria at Northwestern Memorial Hospital is a great and inexpensive breakfast/lunch option. My office is near the hospital and a number of my co-workers are regular lunch diners in the hospital's cafeteria -- it is a great bargain and the food is actually pretty good. The set up is more like a food court than a typical cafeteria.

Also, it might be wise to buy a CTA visitor's pass while you're here. If you'll be relying on the bus/trains to get around, it's a good bargain.

www.transitchicago.com/maps/visitorinfo.html

Enjoy your visit.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Inexpensive hotel in downtown

This option might work well for you -- it's Vacation Rentals By Owner. Many rent by the week or month, but you'll find some here that rent by the night and the prices are quite good. We've used this service in our travels and have enjoyed having a kitchen (and saving $$ on dining), plus, personally, we always enjoy staying in a neighborhood rather than a big hotel.

www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/illinois

Enjoy your visit. Wishing you safe travels!