We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicago in August?

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Chicago in August?

My boyfriend and I were thinking about spending a long weekend in Chicago, but I was surprised to see that hotel prices in late-September/October are drastically higher than August-Labor Day! Would the latter time frame be a good time to visit Chicago, in terms of weather, events, etc?

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
6,970 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicago in August?

Delikado, IMHO, late September/early October is the loveliest time of the year to visit Chicago--the weather (by our standards) is nearly perfect during that time frame. In addition, the Chicago Marathon is run at the beginning of October, so hotel rooms are at a premium then.

Later August can be brutal (high humidity/heat) or decent. You never can really tell, but it's usually pretty warm here then. Not to worry, though, you just plan the outdoor activities in the morning or evening and spend the hottest part of the day inside (museums, shopping, matinee performances of theatre perhaps).

Which weekend are you thinking about in August? There are several festivals and events then, including the Air and Water Show. One other thing to think about: some of the special exhibits at the museums end just around Labor Day weekend. So if you were planning on taking in one of these exhibits (i.e., Body Worlds), your decision would be predicated on this information.

Hope some of this information helps you decide!

IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicago in August?

If I could leave Chicago the entire month of August, I would. Generally the weather is hot and humid and your stuck in airconditioning. Late September and all of October are my favorite months here! Late September the weather is usually in the 70's with the temperature slowly dropping to the 60's toward the end of October.

Chicago
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicago in August?

Depending on when you were looking in August, the increase could have been due to it being the annual Air and Watershow weekend. It attracts a great amount of people from all over the world, so prices tended to be higher (I know...we got married air & water show weekend last August and had to debate our hotel room rates down to a reasonable cost).

illinois
Level Contributor
194 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicago in August?

I think it depends on WHERE you are in August. There's almost always a breeze from Lake Michigan if you're downtown Chicago, even in hot weather. Inland and the farther west you go, the hotter. I'm assuming you'll be downtown Chgo by the lakefront.

Generally, the summers here (even in deepest suburbia) are very pleasant and rarely get over 90 and humid. The past two summers, however, have been hotter than usual. So it could be really hot this Aug.

The weather here is always unpredictable, though. It seems to change from day to day.

Sept. would definitely be more pleasant, but if you have to come in August, being by the lake should make it bearable.

Sorry I don't know of any special events in August in Chgo.

Be sure to visit Millenium Park though, just north of Grant Park and Buckingham Fountain, I believe, and check out the hordes of kids cooling off in the huge tower fountain with photos of faces projected on them. Hard to describe, you just have to see it.