We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CAF vs. Wendella Boat Tour

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jackson, Mississippi
Level Contributor
159 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
CAF vs. Wendella Boat Tour

I'm interested in opinions as to which is the better experience: the Architecture Foundation 1.5 hour river boat tour, or Wendella's 1 hour river boat tour. Could you flip a coin between the two, or is one markedly superior?

Thanks!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,982 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CAF vs. Wendella Boat Tour

If you're interested in architecture - the CAF tour is best. If you're interested in more of a tourist perspective with a touch of architecture, Wendella is fine.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
557 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CAF vs. Wendella Boat Tour

Both are good but just so you know the Wendella does have some architecture discussion fit into the tour. I personally like the Wendella.

chicago
Level Contributor
499 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CAF vs. Wendella Boat Tour

I've done both. If you're a history/architecture buff and value accuracy, go CAF. You'll get lots of interesting details. Some docents are better than others, obviously, but they're all really knowledgeable. But it is a bit of a history lesson. Wendella is a very nice ride...but it's more of a pleasure cruise with some touristy/architectural things thrown in. And not always accurate...the last time I went they said the Sears Tower was the tallest building in the world! Personally, I'd go CAF, but it's all a matter of what you're up for.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CAF vs. Wendella Boat Tour

I really wanted to do a CAF tour, but it turns out that the CAF river tour season doesn't start 'til May, so it'll have to be Wendella for me, as I'll be in Chicago the last weekend in April.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CAF vs. Wendella Boat Tour

As others said, it depends on what you like. For entertainment value, I'd pick Wendella...I think the guides have more stories and more comedic value. CAF is purely historical/architectural education. Both boats use virtually the same route with CAF offering more of the South Loop and Wendella going out to Lake Michigan a bit. You also have the satisfaction of giving to a good cause with CAF, where Wendella is just making another company some profits.

6. Re: CAF vs. Wendella Boat Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, September 25, 2009