We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary Getaway …

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
minnesota
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Anniversary Getaway …

We are thinking 2 or 3 nights in Chicago for a quick getaway. Want a nice Jacuzzi suite hotel with a view in the downtown area, walking distance to restaurants, bars, brewery, etc. Where can you go for good music in that area? We will have our car- how far to Wrigley if we want to see a game? or should we just cab it in case we go to Goose Island brewery & have a few? The Wendella boats look pretty cool too for a touristy thing to do.. We are in late 30’s, enjoy good wine, food, views, walking the city, etc (what everyone does there). The Hard Rock Hotel looked pretty good but not sure if they have jacuzzis. Any comments- suggestion appreciated. Thanks….

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversary Getaway …

Pretty much the only semi-reasonable (it will choice for a jacuzzi suite in Chicago is at the Monaco. Jacuzzi suites are not a common feature at all in city hotels, and while there may be a couple of others, the only one that's coming to mind is at the Monaco.

If you give up the jacuzzi, you'll save a great deal, as it will allow you a FAR greater choice of hotels.

If you have to have your car with you, I'd put it in a lot and not use it. There is no reason to drive around the city; parking is outrageous and traffic is often heavy. If you have your car with you, you will have to pay $40+ for hotel parking to begin with. There's plenty of public transit and Chicago is a very walkable city. I would strongly recommend against driving (train or fly instead), but if you have to, then you will not need it while here.

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniversary Getaway …

I meant to say that the jacuzzi suite at the Monaco will still be costly.

minnesota
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anniversary Getaway …

thank you. we thought about the amtrak- where would we get off at downtown & then what? just get a cab to the hotel? is it pretty easy to do?

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anniversary Getaway …

The train ends at Union Station, which is on the West side of the downtown area. From there, it's not that bad a walk to quite a few hotels if you're up for a stroll. If not, it's an easy cab ride. If you provide your dates of travel, I'd be happy to come up with other hotel ideas.

chicago
Level Contributor
499 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anniversary Getaway …

I think DVD is right...Monaco (and Allegro, another Kimpton Hotel) are the only hotels I know of that offer jacuzzis. And you'll get more hotel room for your dollar if you forgo the whirlpool). But I'd put in a vote for Monaco, even tho it is pricey. It's my husband and my choice for a romantic weekend and we love the suite (and the jacuzzi) there. You can ask for a room with a view of the river and sit in the window seat and look out over it. It's an easy walk to the Art Institute as well as Michigan Avenue shopping and tons of restaurants. Parking is expensive...but that amtrack is a loooong haul. There are usually really cheap flights from Minn to Chicago...have you checked those out? And you can take the blue line from O'Hare to Clark/Lake. It's about 3 blocks from there to Monaco. I recommend Quartino for Italian, Rockit for a bar lunch (best burger on pretzel bun), Pops for champagne and jazz (if you have a bunch of money) or Andy's for jazz (if you don't). Other good restaurants: Ben Pao, Shaw's, Star of Siam (cheap thai), Frontera Grill (be prepared to wait in line) and Heaven on Seven (cajun). You can take the el to Wrigley. it's a 20-30 minute ride and it lets you off right next to the park. Have a drink on the 95th floor of the John Hancock at sunset...it's beautiful (skip the restaurant tho, the food's mediocre). Also, I'd choose the Chicago Architecture foundation's River Cruise over Wendella. It's a much better (and better informed) ride. They have kiosks near the michigan avenue bridge where you can get tickets or visit the website at architecture.org.

Have fun!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Anniversary Getaway …

Goose Island is a good place if you enjoy brewpubs. You mention wine as well -- I'd advise checking out Eno (or oENOlogy, more properly) at the Hotel Intercontinental on Michigan Avenue. They have a great spread of wines, cheeses, and chocolates.

Another favorite wine bar of mine is the Tasting Room on west Randolph St., which is also home to a lot of good restaurants. If you get there early and situate yourselves properly, you can get a great view through the east-facing windows.

minnesota
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anniversary Getaway …

thanks again. great info.. we still would probably drive & just leave our car at the hotel because the cost of train or plane would still be more. no biggy..i also noticed the renaissance hotel too had great reviews..

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Anniversary Getaway …

Speaking from experience, the one-day Minneapolis - Chicago drive doesn't make for a leisurely start for your vacation.

In contrast, the last time I flew to Minneapolis, the round-trip fare was about $150 per person and roughly an hour gate-to-gate (I flew Air Tran). I'm sure you can bring that number down if you get creative searching for flights. Plus, considering gas + parking is likely to run neck-and-neck with no-frills plane fares, it might be worth saving the time and frustration.

That's just me -- I'd rather do just about anything than sit in traffic on the Kennedy for an hour. Driving past 300 miles of dairy farms isn't much higher on the list....

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anniversary Getaway …

Southwest is probably a touch cheaper flight-wise.

10. Re: Anniversary Getaway …

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, September 22, 2009