We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to Taste of Chicago from Water Tower

USA
Level Contributor
231 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get to Taste of Chicago from Water Tower

Staying at the Ritz by the water tower. Coming on Saturday to go to a show Sat night. Will there be any road closures that I need to know about to get to my hotel? I am coming from Indiana. Wanted to go to the Taste on Sunday. Should I just leave the car at the hotel and take public transportation? If so, could you give me the best way to get there using publc transport? Thank you . Gerrie

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
7,891 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get to Taste of Chicago from Water Tower

Fairger, where in Indiana are you coming from? Instead, would it be possible for you to take the South Shore or Amtrak into the city? Let me know where you are coming from and I can make alternate suggestions for you. (I'm Hoosier-born myself and travel into Indiana all the time by both routes.)

The reason why I ask is that I'd recommend that you don't bring your car at all into the city. The parking rates are very high and you truly wouldn't want to be driving ANYWHERE that weekend.

chicago
Level Contributor
373 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get to Taste of Chicago from Water Tower

hi

you can walk to chicago ave. which is two blocks south of the water tower on michigan ave. take the #3 king dr. bus straight to the taste, no transfers or other buses needed. you can also look for the free trolley that goes from the water tower into the loop area but be prepared for long waits and/or

overly crowded trolleys. also #151, but be sure to get off before it makes it's turn to the train station.

USA
Level Contributor
231 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get to Taste of Chicago from Water Tower

We usually come into chicago from 394 to 94. I am driving and was just going to park in the hotel parking and leave it there til we leave on Sunday.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
7,891 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get to Taste of Chicago from Water Tower

Fairger, sorry not sure where in Indiana you are coming from to pick up 394. I know that 94 is a mess in areas with the road construction and reconfigurations. Usually the Toll Road is a better bet. Check the Indiana IDOT and Illinois IDOT websites.

During the Taste of Chicago, the area around Grant Park is completely blocked off. The City of Chicago (Dept. of Transportation) website will give you information as to which roads are closed and the detours. In addition, if you are arriving this coming weekend, the Gay and Lesbian Pride Parade is being held on the northside, and literally blocks in the Lakeview and Lincoln Park neighborhoods are closed.

Have you check the $$$ for the hotel parking? Won't be cheap.

I really would recommend you consider coming into the city via public transportation during this time.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get to Taste of Chicago from Water Tower

I agree! Drive to a South Shore Station (Whiting, East Chicago, etc.) and leave your car there.

Do not drive on 394 north to 94. 394 has been reduced to one lane at the intersection of 80/94 with the ongoing construction. Add that to the week end traffic congestion in Chicago, and you will spend your entire week end sitting in traffic instead of enjoying the Taste!

It took me 45 minutes to drive from Soldier Field to Michigan and Roosevelt at 4:00 p.m. on Friday. This is normally a 3 minute drive, but there was after parade congestion, plus Friday rush hour.

USA
Level Contributor
231 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get to Taste of Chicago from Water Tower

I am not at all familiar with leaving a car at a station. What does this mean? Is it similar to an airport parking lot? Will the car be safe overnight? Do I have to switch trains to get to the water tower area? Thanks for any help.

USA
Level Contributor
231 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get to Taste of Chicago from Water Tower

I might add that I am planning on driving into town by 10:00 am Saturday morning and leaving sunday early evening. Gerrie