We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CityPass or GoChicago card?

Ontario
Level Contributor
77 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
CityPass or GoChicago card?

Which is the best for a 3 day Chicago visit with 2 children?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49,719 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CityPass or GoChicago card?

IMO - I've never been a huge fan of these types of cards. You need to do the math to figure out the break even point of the card vs general admission at each venue. It really depends on how many places you plan to visit in three days.

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CityPass or GoChicago card?

You really have to look at what each one offers, look at admission prices at the places you are interested in and figure whether it's worthwhile.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
7,577 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: CityPass or GoChicago card?

Keep in mind that the extra fees for special exhibits at the various museums are usually not included when using either of these cards. You have to pay extra for them.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,207 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CityPass or GoChicago card?

Also, the ages of your children matter. You may get a discounted rate at the museums that isn't reflected in the pass price. As the others have said, do the math.

Be sure to check hours of use - I have seen some restrictions on the passes in the past.

In my experience, the passes are about break-even in overall cost, with an advantage of skipping admission lines in some places. However, if you have anyone who tours "commando style" in your group, the pass can make you feel like you "must" get more out of it. Personally, I like to schedule a couple of "must-sees" per day, then dawdle and do things on the spur of the moment.

Ontario
Level Contributor
77 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CityPass or GoChicago card?

Thanks for the info - I'll be working out the math!

Suburban Detroit
Level Contributor
74 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CityPass or GoChicago card?

Many of the attractions on the GoChicago card allow for daytime entry only (that is, until 5:30pm). Considering the length of time it takes to really get a worthwhile experience at any of the facilities in the museum campus (Shedd, Field, Adler), it's only effectively usable once per day (Shedd OR Field OR Adler).

The Sears/Willis tower experience is not worth any price of admission considering the excessively long lines to get in (the GoChicago card only allows skipping the ticket line, but that doesn't mention that there is the line to actually get TO the ticket window, then the line to get onto the elevator), the long lines to get out, and the crowds at the observation deck. The Hancock Tower provides a nearly identical experience for less hassle.

In summary, anything less than a 7-day card is not worth the cost of the card. The time it takes to go through the major attractions and traveling between them makes getting your money's worth very difficult. The shopping discounts provided through the card are minuscule enough to be negated by the 10.25% sales tax in the city anyway.

CityPass is more economical and doesn't expire in such a short period of time, but doesn't offer the children-specific attractions like LEGOland or the Children's Museum at Navy Pier, so deciding between CityPass and GoChicago would depend on what the kids want to do vs. what the adults want to do.

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
140 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: CityPass or GoChicago card?

Not sure about the 3 day figures but we bought two 5-day Go Chicago Cards and saved over $200 on stuff we would have done with or without it. It also gives you discounts on shopping, as well. We did A LOT of stuff in our 8 days in Chicago. We did most of our Go Card stuff the first 3 days and then did the Field Museum and the Art Institute of Chicago on days 4 and 5. We filled in the gaps with the smaller, less time consuming attractions. On the Willis Tower, go early and on a weekday if you can. That is what we did and we had a small line that went very quickly. Have a great time!!!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: CityPass or GoChicago card?

I'm not sure why this old thread got dug up. The original post is well over a year old (almost two) and the original poster's trip was back in March of LAST YEAR!

While I (and several other regulars here) encourage people to search the forum to find answers to questions before posting, please ask new questions or give new pertinent information in a new topic. Responding to old threads in this manner causes confusion and delay.

Since the damage has been done, I will say that I am not generally a fan of these types of deals. It has always seemed to me that it would be very difficult to get much savings. I suppose that if a family could keep to a tight schedule of seeing attractions that it might work, but something might catch a child's eye and you might find yourself watching something for longer than you had intended.

What I do think is a good deal that is often overlooked is the ASTC Passport program (www.astc.org/members/passlist.htm). One can join a science or technology museum at home and use it to get in for free at a few of the museums in Chicago. Of course, special exhibits will cost extra, but you won't have the time limitations that the CityPass or GoChicago cards impose.

9. Re: CityPass or GoChicago card?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 07, 2010