We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lombard to Chicago

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
rhode island
Level Contributor
145 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Lombard to Chicago

I will be traveling to Lombard on a business trip in mid March. I have never been there before. Anything to do there? I am looking mostly for daytime trips. Also, I would love to sightsee in Chicago. Is there easy transportation to Chicago from Lombard? I love to walk around, sightsee, and shop. I am open to all suggestions. Thanks!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,497 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lombard to Chicago

Metra trains will get you downtown from Lombard.

There's a station in Lombard - http://metrarail.com/Sched/cnw_w/cnw_w.shtml

Not much in Lombard in terms of tourist stuff. Nearby - www.mortonarb.org

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lombard to Chicago

The Yorktown Mall area at Lombard has really picked up in the last couple years. Many decent dining options in that area. The Chicago Tribune recently listed the new Westin in Lombard as the coolest hotel in the 'burbs. Also note the AMC Premium Cinema in Lombard offers dining/cocktails during the film.

Wauconda, Illinois
Level Contributor
983 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lombard to Chicago

Was just in Lombard yesterday at Yorktown. That area has really changed, just in the last year. They have some top notch places like the Capital Grill, Ra Sushi, Tuscany, Ditka's and Harry Carry's. Not really much to do in terms of nightlife out there. Lots of GREAT dinning options.

If you are in Lombard, I am guessing you have a car. If you don't, your options will be rather limited. It is a strip mall suburb. However, between it and Oakbrook, has many similar offerings as Michigan Ave.

If you wish to get downtown, you might be better off getting a cab to take you to the Park Forrest Blue Line stop for El. I am just thinking that you will have better luck getting a cab there on your way back, than using Metra (more for commuter traffic). It is probobly a 10-15 min ride by cab outside of Rush Hour.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
272 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lombard to Chicago

My daughter and I stayed in Lombard this past summer for a skating competition in a nearby 'burb. If you are going to use the Metra train, I'd advise you to go to a different station than Lombard. The parking is horrible. Only a small strip of parking along the tracks. We spent a good 15-20 mins. looking for a place to park.

The station is tiny and the ticket booth is only open for a few minutes every hour. We got there just as the 10:40 train was leaving. There is no train service between 11 and 1. There weren't really any restaurants where we could eat and kill time in by the station either.

Somethings that we learned - you can buy tickets on the train so you don't have to worry if the ticket booth is closed. Also the stations down the line had bigger stations and with more parking spots.

My daughter went into Chicago twice. We had limited time because of her skating events. The first time we went to Millenium Park and the Art Institutue. The second time we went to the Shedd Aquarium. It was pretty easy to get around - we used the tourist tram, but I think it only runs in the summer.

Chicago
Level Contributor
690 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lombard to Chicago

There is really nothing to do in Lombard--it's a commuter suburb. Oakbrook Mall isn't far away by car if you're interested in shopping and if you'll have a car. The Metra trains do run to Chicago from Lombard--but if you're going to be here on a weekend, Metra's weekend schedule is very limited.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lombard to Chicago

The Yorktown area is nice but typical upscale suburban mall with nice restaurants in the area--if you really want to get a feel for Chicago, definitely go into the city. I agree with taking a cab to the metra station and then take metra downtown to avoid parking issues at either the station or downtown. You'll wind up in the Loop (business district pretty much), and in easy walking distance from where you get off the train is shopping on State Street including Macy's, which is the historic Marshall Field's building, and the Sears' tower is RIGHT there. Depending on your time and the weather, you might look into an architectural boat tour, which isn't too far, and a 15-20 minute walk or $8 cab ride (or the 145 or 146 bus, $2)north will get you to the Michigan Ave shopping, the Hancock building (which I prefer to the Sears tower because it has a nice restaurant/lounge and is a little less crowded tourist-wise). THis is all somewhat "touristy" but if you haven't been to chicago then it's a beautiful city and this will give you a great way to see it and get some shopping in in one day.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lombard to Chicago

PS--I noticed the person who said you can buy tickets on the train. THis is true but when you're LEAVING the city to go home, they charge an extra $2 to discourage this so I'd buy ahead if you can.

Gurnee, Illinois
Level Contributor
702 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lombard to Chicago

Right - the basic rule with Metra tickets is that if you could have bought them at the station you boarded at, but still buy from the conductor, it's an extra $2. But if the station is closed or has no ticket window the conductors don't charge the extra $2. Other than downtown, most stations only have tickets for sale in the morning hours.

9. Re: Lombard to Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, September 17, 2009