We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blues Festival, Printer`s Row Book Fair, other events

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
96 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Blues Festival, Printer`s Row Book Fair, other events

Is there anyting special you would recommend concerning the Blues Festival (when to go, not to go, or prefered location, artists, etc.)?

What can be expected from the Printer`s Row Book Fair (besides some author`s appearances)? (Is it worth going or do you better spend some time browsing some book stores?)

And finally: Any suggestions on other events (music, fairs, expositions, etc.) during that time (June 11 to June 23) in the Chicago area?

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
7,891 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Blues Festival, Printer`s Row Book Fair, other events

Just_here, definitely, you'll want to catch Koko Taylor on Friday and Buddy Guy on Saturday at the Petrillo bandshell. After the Blues Fest is over for the evening, you might want to go over to Buddy Guy's Legends. I'd also recommend checking out the Chicago Reader online for their recommendations as well as the Chicago Tribune or Suntimes critic picks.

Printer's Row Book Fair - you'll find a huge selection of books - from rare, limited editions to pulp. Many independent bookstores are represented. You can get the books signed by the participating authors then as well, as all are asked to remain for at least an hour after their particular event. But not only that, Printer's Row is an area of town which tourists tend to overlook. If you have any interest in architecture, there is a bookstore in that area called Prairie Avenue Bookshop, which has literally more than 10,000 selections (new and used). I urge you to stop in if you have the chance.

Neighborhood fairs:

Andersonville Midsommarfest is the same weekend as the Blues Fest and I see that they will have both the Jessie White Tumblers and Trinity Irish School of Dance (different days) as well as some popular local bands. In case you wish to get away from the crowds.

My pick: Taste of Randolph is the following weekend. Do a quick web check on this event. Especially go to the Culinary Pavilion - chef Paul Kahan (Blackbird) is one of our best. And the entertainment line-up is fine. NOTE: last year, it was pretty crowded in areas - however, last year was their first and, hopefully, they've ironed out that issue.

I just posted on another thread about the SummerDance. This is a lovely event where there are one-hour dance lessons - followed by live music for two-hours afterwards - under the stars.

Hope this information helps you a little. Have fun!