We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moms and Teenage girls looking for travel help

dryden, mi
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Moms and Teenage girls looking for travel help

2 moms and 2 teen girls 16&17) looking to have a girls getaway. Shopping, maybe a play or show...Can you recommend hotel/suite we won't have a car...Cost effective time to travel, we're flexable-week days june or aug....Any and all help appreciated....Anyone tried hotwire. Mag Mile area wacker dr???

Chicago Cultural Center
Architectural Buildings, Art Galleries
Department Stores
Bloomingdale's Home + Furniture
Architectural Buildings, Department Stores
Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moms and Teenage girls looking for travel help

I can certainly help you if you want to try hotwire, as I do have knowledge of the service. Booking a suite hotel on the service is rather difficult, given that Chicago's few all-suite hotels don't come up that often on it, but it's worth a try just to see what comes up on the days you're considering.

Otherwise, suite hotels that you would consider are:

1. Omni Suites, on Michigan Ave.

2. Residence Inn, on Walton by the Water Tower

3. Homewood Suites

4. Two different Embassy Suites locations downtown

5. Doubletree Suites, also near Water Tower.

Additionally, there's the Lenox Suites off Michigan Ave, but reviews of it are generally not all that great.

If you email me with the facts and figures (hotel budget, days you're looking at, etc) at dvdmovie1@aol.com, I will do my best to help you with planning.

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moms and Teenage girls looking for travel help

It's great that you're flexible between dates, because hotel rates in Chicago can vary pretty wildly during the Summer, due to conventions and other events.

Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Moms and Teenage girls looking for travel help

Just adding my 2 cents re Lenox Suites. I walked past it the other day and noticed both of the restaurants (Houston's and the more casual diner-type spot) are closed for renovation. Apparently, the hotel is undergoing a major renovation, too. It is being converted by a pretty cool boutique hotel company and they're redoing the bar/restaurants, too. It will be the James Hotel -- there's one that has gotten a lot of press in Scottsdale -- and the same restaurant people who opened Blue Water. The hotel is open during all this construction, but it is probably a smart move to stay elsewhere.

Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moms and Teenage girls looking for travel help

What is your budget?

Le Meridian is attached to the Nordstrom shopping mall and is in a great location (Mag. Mile).

I wouldn't stay on Wacker Drive (it's more of a business area).

I would plan your visit in August, where you can guarantee nice warm weather.

Suites might be hard to find...the only one I can think of is The Seneca (right by John Hancock and adjacent to the Mag. Mile). It's has a small lobby but it's pretty nice. :)

Hotwire would work. I would go with Expedia or Travelocity though. I found that they have cheaper rates.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
805 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moms and Teenage girls looking for travel help

The best hotels to stay in would be Homewood Suites (on Grand Ave. I think) or the Embassy Suites on State. Although there are two Embassy Suites in the general area of downtown, the one on State is more centrally located and better for doing the kinds of things you're interested in doing. You could also consider the Hilton Garden Inn which is in a good location, but I've never actually stayed there myself. It's just down the street from Embassy Suites.

Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Moms and Teenage girls looking for travel help

Looks like the hotel is taken care of...! But just a word of advice, you don't really need a suite if its just the three of you. I would go for a hotel thats more fun and a great location rather than a big room. I'm 17, and I would much rather have the location and a cool lobby and amenities than a huge room. You should see if you can get a good rate at the House of Blues Hotel. It's really fun, and you won't get it anywhere else like you might with a major chain hotel.

As for stuff to do...if you're not into the museums, make sure you go to Michigan Ave, you could honestly stay all day shopping and browsing. There are million awesome stores. I would recommend Water Tower for sure, Nordstroms, Sephora, Bloomies...it's all good! There are also lots of cool boutiques and fun places to eat in Lincoln Park. But, the museums are really fun and I think the girls would enjoy the Art Institute and the Field Museum. I really liked both.

If you want to see a show, try to get tickets to Wicked. They are mega-expensive right now, but if you try to book for August you might get a good deal. I've seen the show and it's awesome.

If you go in July, don't miss out on Taste of Chicago! It's kinda expensive but its fun just to walk around and listen to the music!

Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Moms and Teenage girls looking for travel help

About shows:

If you can't get tix to Wicked, you'll want to check out the selection of other shows at Hot Tix, which offers same-day discounted tickets courtesy of the members of the League of Chicago Theaters.

(My show isn't there, but it's already inexpensive!)

Safe travels,

the city of big...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Moms and Teenage girls looking for travel help

Don't forget that there is a free torlley system that runs until Labor Day...

The red dot goes up Michigan Avenue to Water Tower place for shopping.

The yellow star goes out to Navy Pier

The green triangle goes out the museum campus for the aquarium, planetarium and field museum.

There are great tours available but keep an eye out for eh free trolleys...

For more info call 773-648-5000

(I'm a trolley driver. I was doing research when I saw this.)

Chicago welcomes you

Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor