We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question on hotels in Chicago

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn
Level Contributor
105 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Question on hotels in Chicago

My wife and I (26, 27) will be in Chicago on June 4-7. I haven't booked a hotel yet. Since we'll only be in the city for 4 days, is it necessary to book a hotel in the Magnificent Mile/Chicago Loop area? If it is, can anyone suggest a moderately priced hotel ($100-$150 per night). Is it that big a hassle to be in a hotel outside of those areas? Also, is there an area where we can book a hotel that caters to a younger crowd (college age)? Thanks

chicago
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Question on hotels in Chicago

Try priceline or hotwire. Everytime my parents have come to Chicago they have been able to secure a 4 star or above hotel downtown for 125 or less. I would lean towards the Magnificant Mile. If your doing visitor activities it is probably best to stay downtown. If you can don't bring the car, that can add 30 a night to your hotel stay.

Lincoln Park and Wrigleyville are perfect for college age kids and only about 2-3 miles north of the Magnificent Mile. However most of the hotels in that area are over priced days inns, etc. I wouldn't recommend it.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
6,854 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Question on hotels in Chicago

Arthurkoq, no, it isn't necessary to book a hotel on the Mag Mile or in the Loop area - it's just much more convenient to many attractions because Michigan Avenue and State Street are the main arteries for public transportation (and for walking to places/venues).

What I suggest to visitors is to look at where the attractions are that you want to be visiting and then try to be centrally located for public transportation. (It's a very good thing to study the CTA map on the Your CTA website.)

For example, if you are going to theatre in the evening and the museums during the day, State Street (the Loop) is just as preferable as the Magnificient Mile because you can walk to practically all of the theatre venues and pick up the buses to the museums there during the day. However, if you are going to one of the concert venues (Metro, Park West, etc.) and then going to one of the northside blues or jazz clubs after, maybe you want to be on the northside. And I recommend that everyone try to be close to a major artery for public transportation or an El stop.

The reason why I say this is that some of the bus routes only operate at certain times during the day (i.e., rush hour) and not on weekends at all. Unless you want to be spending money on cabs, don't mind walking a bit and/or waiting some time for less frequent buses, then you need to be close to these areas.

CTA is going to be having some substantial service cuts very soon (mid-July) unless they get additional funding. They've left most of the major bus routes intact, but it's those less frequented routes that will be taking the brunt of the service cuts (or elimination). And CTA has published wait time increases of 68% for some routes. This is not good, especially for people with limited time here.

If you don't want to be in the Mag Mile/Loop, try the Best Western Hawthorne Terrace at the corner of Hawthorne and Broadway on the north side. They're very popular for Cubs games (only 4 blocks from Wrigley Field) and on weekends, but maybe there is still some availability.

It's located in a very nice area of town - safe, lots of restaurants and boutiques, close to the Red Line El (that's at Addison - Wrigley Field), close to Briar Street Theatre (where Blue Man Group is), 1 (long) block from the express buses that go to the Magnificient Mile (15 min ride - excluding rush hour, of course) and Museum Campus. If you go south on Halsted (1 block west) from there, you are going into the DePaul area which has a lot of places for the college age crowd.

Good luck to you and have fun!

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question on hotels in Chicago

If you're someone into shopping until you drop - at over-priced stores - then, by all means, stay along Michigan Avenue somewhere. That's about the only reason to pay expensive hotel bills for properties in that neighborhood, IMO.

Michigan Ave. is where tourists hang out. My suggestion is that you get into the city and see a bit of Chicago, away from the fancy stores. The city's culture doesn't begin and end at that neighborhood.

Why not consider staying in either the Lincoln Park or Lakeview neighborhoods - places in the city where many college-aged, and post-college young people live and hang out and where you'll find down-to-earth shops, theater and restaurants?

Here are some options to consider:

Neighborhood Inns

http://www.cityinns.com/

Days Inn ��� Lincoln Park North

http://www.lpndaysinn.com/index2.html

Inn at Lincoln Park

Enjoy your visit to Chicago!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
802 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question on hotels in Chicago

If you want to get around easily, you'll want to stay in the Mag Mile area just because you're close to restaurants and transportation and all the other stuff tourists need. In that area, there's a Homewood Suites that's pretty nice (I've stayed there) and generally reasonably priced. There's also a remodeled Hampton Inn that's supposed to be decent if you're on a budget.

miramar, florida
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Question on hotels in Chicago

I already have hotel reservations booked but my friend was offered a very good rate, $135/nigh at The Flemish House. Their website and reviews is very good. Check it out.

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question on hotels in Chicago

Some of the hotels in the city are not going to be directly appealing to a younger crowd, because they are geared mostly towards business travelers. Some of the hotels aren't really "romantic" for a husband/wife trip, either.

Some of the suggestions that I would make would be: The Amalfi, The Intercontinental, maybe the Sheraton, either of the Westins, the Monaco, the Burnham or maybe one of the W hotels. There's also the Hard Rock/House of Blues.

Priceline or Hotwire are recommended if you're not picky about getting a specific hotel in the downtown area and are looking to save some $, although it's fairly easy to tell (in most cases) which hotels are which on Hotwire in Chicago.

The Flemish House is also mentioned in this thread, and people seem to be very positive about that Bed & Breakfast.

dvdmovie1@aol.com - email if you have any questions.