We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best hotel out of these 2?

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
best hotel out of these 2?

My mate & I will be in Chicago in early August. Just wondering which hotel is better out of Best Western Inn of Chicago or Holiday Inn Mart Plaza? They look like they're both in a great location for Entertainment! Any other suggestions at comparable prices would be great!

Columbus, Indiana
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: best hotel out of these 2?

Just got back from Chicago - stayed at the Marriott on Ontario - AWESOME location, great rooms and great staff!!! Highly recommend!

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
660 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best hotel out of these 2?

Best Western Inn is a better location as it is closer to resturants on Ohio/Ontario and Michigan Ave. The Hoilday Inn Mart Plaza is a slightly better hotel itself, but it is a longer walk to everything. Either one is a good choice.

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best hotel out of these 2?

I'd suggest instead the Courtyard Marriott on Hubbard and State or the Hilton Garden Inn on Grand/State. Both are nearby the ones you mentioned, but even more convienient to transportation and other things. The Holiday Inn Merchandise Mart is on the West side of the loop area and really isn't particularly convienient to entertainment or other things, although there are some nice restaurants nearby.

If you are looking for nice, inexpensive hotels, I would check out either hotwire.com or priceline.com.

dvdmovie1@aol.com

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best hotel out of these 2?

The Holiday Inn - Mart Plaza gets my vote. It's conviently located and the views from the rooms are far better, it's a better quality hotel overall. So, if you've been quoted a similar price for each, I'd take the Holiday Inn. As for the non-stop recommendations for two online booking services, I've become a bit suspect of all that promotion on this website.

Enjoy your time in Chicago!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best hotel out of these 2?

There is nothing "suspect" about using Hotwire or Priceline. Both are just great ways to get a nice room downtown without paying too much. I used Hotwire a few weeks ago and got the Westin River North for $110 incl. all taxes and fees - a few days later I booked friends at the Sheraton Hotel & Towers for $95 incl. taxes/fees. Their "back-up" was the Congress which would have cost them $148 with tax. They were very happy with the Sheraton and it was in a much more convenient location. Both these rooms were booked for a weekend night when "nice" hotels were going for $200 or more on traditional hotel websites. For me, once you start using these websites to book rooms, you'll never go back to paying full price for hotels - and that's why they get promoted so much here on Trip Advisor. Those of us who recommend their services want visitors to Chicago to get the most for their tourist dollars so they can enjoy more of our attractions while staying in the heart of our fair city.

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best hotel out of these 2?

Agreeing with what Linda said.

There's nothing suspect about Priceline or Hotwire at all. I actually ended up at the Westin River North for $69 from Priceline, and upgraded to a larger room with a magnificent river view for $40 more + free breakfast. That room would have been $239. I got it for $109.

I've also gotten the Courtyard Marriott for $47 vs $129 regular rate.

Personally, given my experiences with both services, I don't think I'll ever pay full price for a hotel again.

Although Priceline and Hotwire are not without risk, I've succeeded in helping several members find deals through the service. As Linda also mentioned, it's great to have people spend less on a hotel so they can spend their travel money enjoying what the city has to offer.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
169 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best hotel out of these 2?

Also agreeing with what Linda said.....

I've often used hotwire to secure rooms at a bargain for friends & family who come to visit the city. Never had a problem come up yet and saved them a pretty penny on some top notch accommodations.

Why pay retail prices when you don't have too....

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best hotel out of these 2?

It's not just about finding the best deal (which I admit is an important endeavor). It's also about the appearance that certain posters are preoccupied with promoting two specific websites. Yes, I still think it's suspicious when someone posts that they've found a deal at a hotel that meets their budget they're told to forget it and book via one of the two heavily promoted booking sites, etc. Sorry, but that's my opinion after reading so many of the responses on this particular forum.

Suerte!

michigan
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best hotel out of these 2?

I've never used the discount websites. I would be concerned about not being able to cancel at the last minute. Also, it seems logical that you wouldn't get the same service or the room of your choice if you pay bargain basement prices. However, if neither of those things is a concern to you, it sounds like a good way to get a cheap room in a good area.

I prefer to pay a little more and know what to expect - but that's just me.