We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bypassing Chicago

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
13 posts
Save Topic
Bypassing Chicago

Hello,

I am driving from Michigan to Milwaukee. I likely will be around Chicago aroun the evening commute time (on a Tuesday). What is by best bet to avoid traffic and get around (or through) Chicago as fast as fast as possible?

Thanks

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
7,107 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bypassing Chicago

You might want to take the Lake Express ferry which travels from Muskegon, MI to Milwaukee in 2.5 hours. Go to their website for details.

NYC
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bypassing Chicago

I thought about the Lake Express Ferry, but it would cost $250 for a car and two adults. Kind of hard to justify that cost to save a couple hours.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bypassing Chicago

My suggestion is that you pass through Chicago after 7:30 p.m.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
7,107 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bypassing Chicago

First, check the Illinois and Indiana Department of Transportation websites to see the hotspots for construction (there are many).

The Toll Road usually has less traffic than I94 in the northwest Indiana area. As a previous poster mentioned, traveling after 7:30 pm will give you a better chance of bypassing the rush hour traffic, although the later you travel through, the better.

If you are stopping for dinner anyway, I'd recommend that you do so earlier in the evening - maybe around the Michigan City or Chesterton, IN area, and then travel on at a later time.

Hope this helps.

NYC
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bypassing Chicago

Thanks for your advice. I am time constrained in that I am trying to make it to a Milwaukee Brewers game (for purely cultural reasons - I am actually a world champion Boston Red Sox fan).

What time will I need to get to the southern Chicago approaches in order to ensure I witness the first pitch?

Many thanks

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bypassing Chicago

Traffic is the most intense on Chicago area expressways during the afternoon/evening rush hour between 3:30/4:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. The trip from Chicago to Milwaukee is approx. 2 hours. You'll need to do the math yourself. You could have saved us some time and effort had you told us everything at the beginning. Safe Driving!

Michigan
Level Contributor
68 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bypassing Chicago

Ask about special price times or days on Lake Express and what it will be to rent a car at the terminal in Muskegon. Last year renting a car is much cheaper since they have more room for people then they do cars.

Michigan
Level Contributor
68 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bypassing Chicago

Oops! Read your e-mail again, check prices of leaving car in Muskegon and catching cab or renting car to Brewers game. I think it will save about $100 or more.

NYC
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bypassing Chicago

Sorry.

Some more facts. I am actually driving cross-country, from NYC to Washington State, and so I must travel with the car, and therefore the ferry seems priced too insanely to make it feasible.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
7,107 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bypassing Chicago

DD111, I may be misreading the Lake Express Ferry website, but it appears for 2005, the stated price for a one-way trip is $59 for an auto (for the dimensions stated) and $50 per adult.

I don't know if this will affect your decision, but I thought I might mention it just in case it might.