We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

congress plaza

florida
6 posts
Save Topic
congress plaza

any comments? have heard pro's and con's coming in from florida

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: congress plaza

Horrible hotel, which is unfortunate because its got a lot of history. It's run-down, and, unless there's been a change, there have been protestors outside the hotel for at least 4 years now. I would NOT stay there. With some research, you can get a MUCH better hotel for a price not too far from what you'd pay for the Congress.

If you need help, please email me at dvdmovie1@aol.com with the dates you plan to stay and your hotel budget and I'll try to find you something better for a reasonable price.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: congress plaza

The hotel is the legendary "Pick Congress Hotel" as in Alfred Pick (but under different ownership) which has seen better days. I wouldn't describe it as a "horribe" hotel. It does need some updating, however.

The location of the hotel is spectacular, across the street from Grant Park, a close walk to Millennium Park, close to museums, shopping, etc. It's on Michigan Avenue, the south end.

The "protesters" are union sympathizers who are "informational picketing." If you're a staunch union member/supporter, maybe you should look elsewhere.

If you've been quoted what you think is a very good, inexpensive, rate . . . and you're not looking for Hilton Hotel quality, I don't see why you shouldn't go ahead and stay there.

Enjoy your visit to Chicago.

South
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: congress plaza

I stayed at this hotel last week. It really is dated and rooms are in need of cleaning (carpet, walls, etc). Staffing is at a minimum due to strikers and restaurants and bars are working short handed.

Front desk staff is slow to respond to requests. Security is very poor and minimal.

Great loacation, but I would not stay there again.

Level Contributor
1,860 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: congress plaza

Just stayed there last night. Very disappointed.

Parking was awful, even though they have a parking garage, it was full, went back to have valet park us, they wouldn't. Valet sent us to a different gargage. It was a ripoff, price quoted was not what we were charged even though I had our parking validated by the hotel.

Long wait for the elevator in the hotel and long walk to the room. Paint peeling off the walls in the bathroom and main area. Water pressure was awful (like using the sprayer at your kitchen sink). Paid $186 and if we knew what it was like, I wouldn't have paid over $50 to stay there. I don't care that it was on Michigan Avenue.

A train runs right behind the hotel, and even though we were on the 10th floor, we could hear it all night (but the noise from the Taste of Chicago didn't bother us.)

Many other hotels on Michigan that are newer and probably in better shape. Hard Rock, etc. I would look around.