We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We would like to get from downtown to OHare without a car...

9 posts
Save Topic
We would like to get from downtown to OHare without a car...

Can you recommend a hotel that we can get to by public transportation. If we don't do this is it difficult to leave early in the morning without having to take a cab? Are the cabs to the airport $$$$?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
188 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We would like to get from downtown to OHare without a car...

You could try the Wyndham O'Hare (look on this website) or search for other O'Hare airports. THey have a free shuttle to the airport even tho they are also near the El (not sure how close).

I would choose a hotel that sounds good (Rosemont is an El stop so a hotel in that area is OK) and then call the hotel to see the best way to get there from downtown. They may say to get off at their El stop and take a short bus ride to their door. Or it may be easier to take the blue line a couple stops further into O'Hare, go up and out to ground transportation and take the hotel shuttle.

Just check what time you need to leave in the morning with them when you call. Most will take you for free even if it's really early.

Once you find all the answers are satisfactory, if the phone price is too high, check online for that hotel booking.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We would like to get from downtown to OHare without a car...

I'm not sure if you're looking for a downtown hotel or an airport hotel, however, if you have an early morning flight I would highly recommend an airport hotel. Depending in the time and day of the week, it could take an hour or more to get from downtown to the airport (and a cab ride would be very pricey!) There are several hotels in Rosemont that are fairly close to the El that runs between O'Hare and downtown: the Hyatt Regency, Sofitel, Doubletree, Crowne Plaza, Westin, Embassy Suites and Marriott Suites are all located on River Road, not too far from the El station. I believe most would offer shuttles to the airport which is just a few minutes away, so you wouldn't even have to spring for a cab. It would also be relatively easy for you to spend the evening downtown, then take the El back to your hotel and have a quick trip to the airport in the morning.