We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Johnny O hot dogs

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
536 posts
1,916 reviews
Save Topic
Johnny O hot dogs

I am going to watch the White sox on Labor day and would like to sample something local before the game. I have read and seen a video about the famous Mother in law sandwich. Would like to know is it worth a visit also being a match day and just down from the stadium is this area ok to walk along 35th street.

Seen the news about the problems in the south of the city and just want to be sure this area will be ok.

12 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,182 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Johnny O hot dogs

You should be OK walking between the ballpark and the restaurant. Enjoy your MIL.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Johnny O hot dogs

Bridgeport is a middle-class neighborhood. You'll be fine. Use city smarts just like you would in any part of the city. If you have time, you may want to check out the Bridgeport Art Center which is less than a half mile from Johnny O's. https://bridgeportart.com/

I saw on your other posts that you were looking for "Bucket List" bars. In Bridgeport I'd recommend either Marz Brewery or Maria's Packaged Goods. Marz Brewery (http://marzbrewing.com/) is a little over a half mile from Johnny O's. It's down a side street (Iron Street)that is mostly old industrial lofts so it looks like you are in the wrong place but you're not. They just opened a little under a year ago. Beers are fantastic and the food is good too. I like the fried baloney sandwiches. You can easily catch an uber to the game. Sometimes they have pedicabs on game days which would be fun!

Maria's Packaged Goods (http://www.community-bar.com/) is closer to the game and Johnny O's. It's a 10 minute walk north down Morgan. It is a half liquor store, half bar and has a great selection of beers and amazing cocktails. It is a neighborhood gem and I highly recommend you checking it out. Again an easy uber ride to the game or even after the game. (It's a mile away so an easy and safe walk as well).

At the game, check out the Craft Kave for a better selection of beers. Revolution (local brewery) opened up a tap room. You can get seats outside if you want a different view of the park.

Sorry that this steered away from Johnny O's. But I wanted you to get some insight about Bridgeport since you'll be in the area anyway. It's a fun community!

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
536 posts
1,916 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Johnny O hot dogs

Many thanks Lineybirdie, I do like the idea of going to Maria's Packaged Goods. I had read about this bar. Reason for my initial question due to the mixed responses I received when asking about the area around the stadium on a previous post.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Johnny O hot dogs

I think you'll enjoy Maria's! It has a good vibe and the barkeepers are very knowledgeable and friendly. Maria is usually behind the counter in the liquor store part. If it matters, my husband and I find it to be a very nice date spot so if your wife is going to the game with you she may as well.

I just read that thread you posted about Bridgeport so I can see why you were questioning the Johnny O's spot.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
536 posts
1,916 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Johnny O hot dogs

Hi Blimey,Thanks again . My wife not going as no interest in sport so a day on my own.Looking forward to Maria and Johnny more than the baseball. Going more for the atmosphere and seeing the stadium as I know nothing about baseball or the rules.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
536 posts
1,916 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Johnny O hot dogs

Sorry Limey

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
536 posts
1,916 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Johnny O hot dogs

Liney. Dammed predicted text.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Johnny O hot dogs

LMAO! Have fun at the game and in Bridgeport! Feel free to DM me if you have any specific questions as well.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Johnny O hot dogs

Second the recommendation for checking out the Revolution Brewing tap room at Sox Park. It is located in the left field corner, main concourse. They have a variety of their beers (4 or 5 on tap, many more can options), couches and plush seats inside with big screen TVs, and outside high stool seating along a counter facing the field. Watching the game there is secondary to socializing, so might be a good stop for a bit. The White Sox are not doing well at all this year (by design) so attendance is not great, so you will be able to move around and find seating pretty much anywhere. Consider doing that to get different vantage points of the game.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
536 posts
1,916 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Johnny O hot dogs

Hi Ciidave, can you change seats or area in the stadium ? Here in UK your seat is your seat no option to move as nearly all premier league games are sell outs.

Reply to: Johnny O hot dogs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted