We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hydes park

Louisville
Level Contributor
9 posts
31 reviews
hydes park

what is the safest way to get to hydes park, too visit the museum area two years ago I took I90 and exit stoney rd and 3 miles north and we were not too happy with that area, is there a safer way to the science center. tks AL

30 replies to this topic
Louisville
Level Contributor
9 posts
31 reviews
11. Re: hydes park

1 day trip.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,808 posts
67 reviews
12. Re: hydes park

Follow the instructions in #4.

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,883 posts
81 reviews
13. Re: hydes park

Take 55 to south lake shore drive. It’s not that far out of the way.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
18,269 posts
137 reviews
14. Re: hydes park

I'll repeat #8. Are you coming for just one day from Kentucky, or are you staying in Chicago?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,808 posts
67 reviews
15. Re: hydes park

SS = see #11

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
8,998 posts
16. Re: hydes park

Since this is to be a single day trip to Chicago - meaning there will be no overnight lodging in Chicago at all - then I would suggest that you take the South Shore and South Bend Railroad from some point in Indiana. www.mysouthshoreline.com That way, you don't have to drive into Chicago at all. The South Shore has stops for every one of the major museums plus Millennium Park.

I would *not* recommend parking your vehicle any further west than Porter Co., however. For example, you might park at the Dune Park station, which is about 2 miles to the north of Chesterton, IN. The one-way trip takes approximately 1.25 hrs. from the Dune Park station to 57th Street (Hyde Park).

Please keep in mind that I *do not* recommend any overnight or extended parking in any of their lots. You will see under their FAQ page their position regarding this matter as well.

Is this day trip part of a larger road-trip? I mean, from KY to Chicago (plus return) is simply not a day trip. That's an overnight stay. What else were you planning on doing?

Edited: 8:34 pm, August 14, 2018
Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
8,998 posts
17. Re: hydes park

I also noticed that you mentioned "we". If "we" means your family, including children, take a look at the South Shore's Family Fare plan. Doesn't apply to all trains, though - read the details carefully.

Louisville
Level Contributor
9 posts
31 reviews
18. Re: hydes park

thank you very much for your great suggestion about how to go into the museum area I check out the website and called the south shore rail line, would you suggest going to the 57 st museum area and and walking 5 min, I have my wife and daughter and friend they are 15, and also should we be starting at the Ogden dune or I see on the map there is dune park station coming from Michigan on I 94,.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,808 posts
67 reviews
19. Re: hydes park

Train to 57th + walk to the MSI. It's safe.

https://www.medici57.com/ = good eats nearby.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
8,998 posts
20. Re: hydes park

I frequently use the Dune Park station when using the South Shore and I would recommend it over Ogden Dunes simply because it has more parking spaces with more traffic.

Are you then returning to KY after this day trip? You know, since you are coming in from Michigan on I94, you could also park in Michigan City at the Carroll Ave. station (wouldn't suggest the 11th Street one, though). The I94 exchange is to the south of the Michigan City limits; but you could get off I94 at New Buffalo (MI) and then take U.S. #12 into MC from there. If you take a look at a map, you will see how close #12 is to that Carroll Ave. station.

It just depends on how you wish to return to KY, if that is the case. If you are in Michigan City, you can take #421 (which is called Franklin Street within the city's limits) all the way south to Reynolds. At the intersection of S.R. #24, #421 turns to the east. But you can continue straight on #43 right into Lafayette, where you can pick up I65 SB.

If you choose the Dune Park stop, then you would take U.S. #12 WB for just a matter of blocks to access S.R. #49SB. Take #49 south through Valparaiso, Kouts, Wheatfield. It "T"s out at S.R. #14. Take #14 WB to #231. At this point in time, you cannot take #14 WB because the road is closed for construction. However, take #231 south to Rensselaer. You can access I65 via S.R. #114 (it's about 3 miles to the west) or stay on #231 as it jogs through downtown Rensselaer, follow it south past the St. Joseph College and then to Remington. There are two I65 SB interchanges in and around Remington.

BTW, when you are going into Chicago, try and sit on the right side of the coach. You'll see more. You can tell when you are approaching the 57th Street (Hyde Park/University of Chicago) stop because just before you get there, you'll be able to finally see the MSI with Lake Michigan in the distance. Up until then, the configuration of the tracks doesn't allow that.

P.S. One of the things you will see when you are on the South Shore traveling in Chicago to the south of 57th Street is a large red masonry building, between 111th Street and 105th or so (?). That is the historic Pullman District. Pullman as in Pullman (train cars). You can read up on the history of it here: www.pullmanil.org

Edited: 10:10 am, August 19, 2018
Reply to: hydes park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted