We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Indian Restaurant in Chicago or surrounding area?

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
los angeles
4 posts
Save Topic
Best Indian Restaurant in Chicago or surrounding area?

GOMEXICO posted this info: I would love to know the best Indian restaurant in this area (you can tell my husband and I are food lovers). Also, if not too much trouble, how to get there via bus/subway -

Thanks in advance -laauburn

There's a International House of Pancakes located across the street. Several Korean restaurants are a short walk away. The city's Indian/Pakistan district with wonderful food/stores/restaurants is very close. Two blocks away is a shopping center with Starbuck's, Border's Books, a couple of restaurants, other stores, etc.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Indian Restaurant in Chicago or surrounding area?

Chicago's Little India section is up on Devon Avenue. You might check out www.metromix.com, I know I've seen an article on Devon Avenue on that website.

I also saw one in Chicago Mag recently, if I can locate it, I'll let you know what their rec was.

Now ask about Eastern European, Spanish, Turkish and I have plenty of rec for you :-)

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Indian Restaurant in Chicago or surrounding area?

Getting consensus on what the "best" of anything is is always a tough thing to accomplish. However, since I mentioned the topic I'll take a "stab" at the question.

One caveat, though: not all Indian food is the same. Many/most restaurants tend to focus on food prepared as it is in one particular part of India (the part of India from which the owner comes from).

On Devon Ave. (the principal concentraton of Indians and Pakistani's in the Metropolitan Chicago area) I've come to like Tiffin Restaurant (2536 W. Devon). Tiffin is casual but with an upscale feel to it. Great service, very good food, good ambiance, etc.

For a long time, I ate at Hema's Kitchen (6404 N. Oakley - just off Devon on a sidestreet 2 blocks or so East of Western Ave.), but have been turned-off by the place (seemingly more Mexican these days than Indian). Hema's is often mentioned in 'the best of' columns when it comes to Indian food, however. The place is known for the particularly strong influence of curry in many of its dishes. Hema's is BYOB.

For a no frills and an all you can eat Indian food experience I like Standard India Restaurant at 917 W. Belmont Ave. Food is good, service is not-rushed - and the price is right. However, you won't find many Indians eating here, it's almost exclusively neighborhood types looking for value (and Indian food). This is a BYOB place.

Anyhow, these places are ones that have quickly come to mind after reading your question.

Devon Ave. is easy to reach by "El" and CTA bus. You can check both the Mapquest and Chicago CTA websites for routes to get there from wherever you end up staying. There are scores of restaurants on Devon Ave., and you might find yourself walking the mile or so stretch checking out other restaurants and sweet shops I've not mentioned. After all - beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Good eating!

los angeles
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Indian Restaurant in Chicago or surrounding area?

Thank you for all the great info GOMEXICO. I will guarantee we will be going to Devon Street and exploring.

Chicago
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Indian Restaurant in Chicago or surrounding area?

The "Best in Chicago" may very well be in Oak Park: Khyber Pass (1031 N. Lake Street) is great.

The best way to get there is via the Green Line. Catch it downtown (it runs along Lake Street) and take it to the Oak Park stop (about 20 minutes). The restaurant is a stone's throw from there.

Safe travels,

Neil

www.SupernaturalChicago.com

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
169 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Indian Restaurant in Chicago or surrounding area?

Indian is my favorite ethnic food, I highly recommend Tiffin if you are really into Indian food. Devon is a haul from the downtown/River North area, but it's worth the trip, especially for dinner.

Two of my favorite spots for lunch are:

1) Gaylord India 678 N. Clark, in the River North area. #22 clark bus stops right on the block.

2) Standard India, address above, located in Lakeview neighborhood. Red line to Belmont stop, walk east, it's only about 100 yards down, on the south side of the street.